Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 27th, 2012 05:00

inspiron n5110 shut down when gaming

Hey

My inspiron n5110 gets incredibly hot and then turns off when playing something little bit more demanding ( Mafia II for example). I have a little docking stationg (logitech n120 i think, don't remember for sure). 
I have integrated intel and also nvidia GT 525M

4 Posts

June 2nd, 2012 19:00

Yes i have the same problem , when i play games and the labtop starts to heat up , it shutdowns suddenly without warning . i know when it shuts down when everything slows down. then a shut , and sometimes when i start it again after the shutdown i get a blue screen loading to 100 saying dumping something i dont recall , but then it restarts , sometimes it just hangs up and i have to turn it off with the power button.

need a solution pls 

45 Posts

June 3rd, 2012 03:00

this is down to very poor cooling design. Dell all ways point out this is not a gaming laptop but yet they put in a 1GB Graphics chip?? first use a laptop cooling fan. next you got 2 option to choose. use a  Fan blowing right to left across laptop. I use this when playing dirt showdown with out it i only get 30-40 min game play its not overheated once and that using medium high setting. second option is to lower video setting to Lowest setting possible. I would highly recommend the Fan option. I would not keep running the laptop until the temperature safety system kicks in and shut down laptop this can cause damage to laptop or cut the life time of the laptop. 

4 Posts

June 3rd, 2012 11:00

Thanks a lot , I found that shutting down doesnt happen much when I turn on the air-conditioner .

June 4th, 2012 12:00

Hi Infect1on and AmrHero,

I am Makarand from Dell Technical Support.

Regarding the autmatic shut down, i agree that when the system overheats and there isn't enough ventilation, to prevent damage to the system board and other components, it would shut down. Here are a few suggestions to prevent this from happening,

primarily as you suggested, maintaining room temperature helps.

Also ensuring that the vents at the bottom of the laptop have free circulation of air so that it can dissipate heat. Keeping the laptop at an angle would help.(elevate the hinge side of the laptop)

Thanks and regards,

Makarand P Paranjape

Dell Social Media and Communities Professional.

June 4th, 2012 12:00

Hi Infect1on,

Please provide us with your computer's service tag, so that we can initiate diagnostics and find out the root cause and accordingly help you, feel free to call us at 1-800-624-9896. Please direct message me your service tag.

Thanks and regards,

Makarand P Paranjape

Dell Social Media and Communities Professional.

June 9th, 2012 11:00

Same problem herre...

I love to play games in my bed... but laptop overheats and it's impossible have it in my legs.

I play Civilization V and laptop turn off alone.

I play Battlefield 3 and laptop turn off alone.

I play WoW Cataclysm and laptop turn off alone.

I play Railroads and laptop turn off alone.

It's impossible play video games in this laptop.

I called to support in my country and tell me PLS BUY AN XPS LAPTOP because this laptop is not for games. pfff

Service tag: C6NNSP1

45 Posts

June 9th, 2012 14:00

I feel your pain. iv worked hard to keep my temp as low as possible. If its not for Gaming why allow people to pay extra for a GT525M graphic chip that can hit temps of 90c+. I would not recommend keep playing the laptop till it shuts down this could destroy the laptop!! make sure you back up all your important data. I only play games on my cooler master notepal U2 cooling pad this can help play older games but for new games like Battlefield 3/dirt showdown you got to bring out the big fans. Iv played dirt showdown for 3 hours with a fan blowing over the laptop plus cooling pad. with no big fan 1 hour if im lucky. With no cooling pad 30mins. I did not see "PLS BUY AN XPS LAPTOP FOR GAMING" on there sales web site!!!!!

June 10th, 2012 05:00

U need search for XPS High Performance laptops in DELL web page

I don't understand why DELL sell us a laptop with Nvidia GT 525m video card - Intel core i7 processor - 6 GB RAM if we can't play games in this laptop...

Or DELL put inside the laptop a higher video card to play solitaire ?

45 Posts

June 10th, 2012 06:00

I did not see "PLS BUY AN XPS LAPTOP FOR GAMING" on there sales web site "for this laptop"!!!!

My warranty is no good because of the mods iv done to try keep temps lower.

multi media to me include gaming too!!!! I accept not high graphics setting for games but it should be able to play on low video settings with out overheating. I agree with you 100% jotaincubus. I do like the laptop and iv had no shutting down  yet on my laptop. Could be the mods iv done that has help. I do feel a bit scammed into buying a 1GB graphic chip that i can't fully use as it over heat duo to a very poor heatsink design for the graphic chip.

1 Message

June 10th, 2012 06:00

I totally agree. It is stupid that you cannot use what you buy because of some engineering mistake. They should give money back.

June 13th, 2012 21:00

Why DELL don't answer us ??? We are waiting for an answer from DELL, but nothing... my laptop is shut down continuously and I will follow playing... if my laptop is burned is by your fault DELL

I take the computer to Dell support and now Dell is changing the motherboard and cooling system but I am sure that the problem will return.

4 Posts

June 14th, 2012 01:00

Actually they answered , look above at the previous replies.

another thing ,a friend of mine had the same problem , he sent his laptop to some tech , and he cleaned the dust and put new cooling paste . and it stopped shutting down.  

45 Posts

June 14th, 2012 01:00

its very true if some one forgot to paste a cpu or gpu this could have random shut downs or other errors that could make finding the real problem a lot harder.  A lot of people have had there motherboard replace by DELL techs that should have cleaned/apply new heat paste. But they still have the same errors.  

1 Message

September 2nd, 2012 14:00

im having the same problem and i would like to know why does this happen . I´m sorry im answering you INFECT1ON didnt know where to post :P 

45 Posts

September 2nd, 2012 16:00

profit is the driving force to what components are used once the motherboard has been designed then "in this case" dell engineers will work on cooling systems as long as it last over the standard 12 months they will go with the cheapest design this is base on budget laptops. Which could apply to any new laptop lower then  £500.  my N5110 cost me £629 which is above the budget cost laptops but i fear we got a budget cost cooling design.

Why does it happen... I would say simply home dust blocking up the heat seek and stopping the transfer of heat then as a safeguard the system shuts down to stop burning the system out. This is just one answer to many other reasons why the system sut down.

No Events found!