Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

F

3 Posts

October 10th, 2004 23:00

mouse pointer jumps to corner of screen

my mouse pointer has taken to jumping to the bottom right corner of the screen frequently and at random, whether I am touching the pad and in the process of using it, or it is just sitting there while I am doing something else. I have tried deleting and then reinstalling the device driver and also updating the device driver. I have tried tweaking the settings. None of this has worked. This is very annoying, can anyone help me?

2.2K Posts

October 11th, 2004 16:00

FLSA33,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Please test your system with a PS/2 mouse and see if you have the same problem.  You may also wish to try it after uninstalling the Synaptics Drivers.  If either of these cures the problem, then it is most likely a hardware failure.  The palmrest would have to be replaced.

3 Posts

October 12th, 2004 00:00

Rollie

Plugging in a mouse did not fix the problem. Could the installing of some other software like SP2 or MS Office upgrades effect it? Do you have any other suggestions? Otherwise I will just have to live with it, my warranty expired 10/1.

2.2K Posts

October 12th, 2004 13:00

FLSA33,

Service Pack 2 could have affected it, but I am not sure.  I do not think that any Office update would have caused this.

Try downloading the latest Touchpad drivers from our website.  Uninstall the old drivers, and then try installing the new drivers (or reinstalling if it is the same version) and see if that makes any difference.

3 Posts

October 12th, 2004 22:00

I can't believe it, but I fixed it. I uninstalled the "Blinx" web search program and my pointer is fine now. I had installed it a while ago but this pointer jump problem has only been happening for about a week. I'm not sure what made me think of Blinx as the culprit but I decided to uninstall it because I hardly ever used it and the pointer problem stopped right away. Thanks for your help though. Maybe you could keep this in mind for other people who have a similar problem.

1 Message

October 13th, 2004 10:00

If you don´t have warranty, you can reseat touchpad cable. Then is the problem solved.

1.2K Posts

October 14th, 2004 02:00

So your all aware, the touchpad is not always the cause of the problem if it ends up being hardware. It depends on what model you have as to what will fix it. For example, the keyboard was mainly the cause of the problem in the C6xx series of laptop .
No Events found!