Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

April 14th, 2006 20:00

password help????

I have a 7500 from a estae and it boots up and tells me it needs a password to enter. Is ther away around this problem I would like to erase what is on it and start new.

thanks ham1970

4.4K Posts

April 14th, 2006 23:00

if this is a bios pw your talking about the only way is to get it from the previous owner or call dell with proof of ownership and they will give you the master pw

5 Posts

April 18th, 2006 21:00

WRONG!  Dell will not give you the Master password unless you give them $99.00.  A bad tradeoff.

N2

4.4K Posts

April 18th, 2006 21:00

did that happen to you?

5 Posts

April 18th, 2006 22:00

YES!  It did happen to me.  I tried three calls - all producing the same request.  I don't know what you mean by "Back up My Statement"  It was a telephone conversation.  However, you can easily prove it to yourself.  Call Dell at 1-866-497-2661(toll free) and make the same request.  Tell them you have forgotten the F2 BIOS password you set at the time of purchase (which is the absolute truth in my case; I purchased the laptop in Sept. of 2001 moved once since then and can't find my original set up notes), ask for the master password, offer to provide them with indesputable proof of ownership and then sit back and listen to their extortion message.

N2

4.4K Posts

April 19th, 2006 01:00

wow

5 Posts

April 19th, 2006 13:00

After I sent you the message of how Dell treated my request to aid me in resetting my Admin. (BIOS) password or to disable it; I realized that I had not provided a key detail.  That detail was that my Laptop is "old" by Dell standards.  I purchased it in Sept. of 2001.  Dell said since my warranty had expired, I would need to pay them either $200.00 for a one year service contract or $99.00 per incident I wanted resolved.  I did neither.  Therefore, it is possible that the advice you have been giving to chat room users to call Dell, with proof of ownership, to get their BIOS password would work if their computer is still under warranty.

N2

Bill

563 Posts

April 20th, 2006 19:00

Hello All,

Welcome to the Dell Community Forum,

According to Dells policy,you must be able to prove your system ownership by providing the Name, address, etc.. that's attached to the system Service Tag and the Master Password will be provided.  Hope that this helps.

Thanks,

4.4K Posts

April 20th, 2006 22:00

thanks mikeb.

Message Edited by boppo on 04-20-200607:06 PM

5 Posts

April 21st, 2006 00:00

To Mike B.

I am the person with the BIOS Password Issue.  I called Dell three times and each time the rep stated he knew of no such Dell practice.  Since the warranty on my Inspiron 8100 (Purchased (/01) has expired, Dell wants $99.00 for the information.  PLEASE give me the Dell telephone number where the person answering will know of the service you report and will give me the master password without asking for money

N2

Bill

2 Posts

April 21st, 2006 01:00

yes, It would be nice to know. It is a shame that all the DELL stuff  that has come out of places that have closed up for one reason or another and you buy the stuff and cannot use them. It is a racket to me where you have to pay for a password if you are not the oe owner of it.

just my thoughts..

Ham1970

4.4K Posts

April 21st, 2006 02:00

the reason you need proof of ownership before you get the mpw is people steel laptops so if you are smart an have your bios pw protected no one can use it until they prove they are the owner, dell is not charging people for the pw if they are not the owner. if your not the owner you get nothing.

55 Posts

April 21st, 2006 20:00

N2droom,

What you are saying is not making sense. Masterpassword is provided if you prove ownership.To prove ownership you have to provide the details that you gave Dell at the time of purchase.

What seems to be happening is that those brilliant technicians :smileywink: at dell think that you need a windows password and are attempting to charge you for a software issue. make sure that the phone guy understands your problem clearly.

Call between 9 AM to 5 PM CST on businessdays only. If you call on weekends or holidays you will get excuses and not a solution.

hope this helps

Message Edited by beststarsign on 04-21-200604:38 PM

10 Posts

May 16th, 2009 00:00

If it is a BIOS System Password, and the machine is out of warranty like mine, Dell will SELL you the master password for about $50. Proof of ownership seems to have nothing to do with it. This is a total rip -off. Dell installed it, didn't tell me about it, and now wants me to pay for access to MY computer. I have several Dells on my network, and I don't think I will be replacing them with new Dell computers any time soon.  In a word, I am POed.   :emotion-39:

No Events found!