Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

9 Posts

August 10th, 2005 21:00

"This computer does not support this operating system" - Driver install problem

Hey,

I recently formatted the hard drive of my Dell Inspiron 1000, and upgraded to a fairly old version of Windows XP Pro (Version 2002). As i had formatted my hard drive, i had lost the privelege of having USB 2.0 ports, and now have to use USB 1 instead. I downloaded the " Dell Notebook System Software" driver, as i believe this is the driver that includes the USB 2.0 upgrade. Is this the correct driver to upgrade my USB ports?

However, when i tried to install the driver, i got the error message, "This computer does not support this operating system". Not only does this message make no sense, but i also have no idea how to fix it.

Has anybody else had this problem? If not, have you any idea how i can upgrade to USB 2.0?

Thanks,
Dement0r

14.4K Posts

August 11th, 2005 05:00

Did you install the Intel chipset driver for your motherboard?

If you want to install the latest Dell Notebook System Software you must have SP2 install beforehand or else you will see the error message that you are presently getting.

Once you install the chipset driver and SP2 your USB ports will function at USB 2 speeds.

9 Posts

August 11th, 2005 18:00

Thanks, i installed SP2, but for some reason i cannot find out what my chipset driver is. I went onto the Intel site, and downloaded the Chipset ID Utility, but that doesn't seem to work. I also tried looking through the resgistry and through device manager, as suggested on the Intel website. None of these, however, seem to be able to help me find out which chipset driver i need. Any more advice?

Thanks,

Dement0r

9 Posts

August 11th, 2005 20:00

I have done some research and found that the Dell Inspiron 1000 uses a SiS M650 chipset. However, i cant seem to find any drivers for it that enable usb 2.0 - but my laptop originally had USB 2.0!! Also, my laptop did not come with a Dell Restore disk, which means i cannot do it that way, either.

14.4K Posts

August 11th, 2005 20:00

hmm, well I have also just checked what Dell has on its downward site for your model laptop and there is no sign of any chipset driver. I can only assume that this is because XP natively recognises your motherboard chipset and does not require the installation of the chipset driver.

14.4K Posts

August 12th, 2005 08:00

In device manager under USB do you see an enhanced USB controller?
If you do then installing sp2 will give you the required USB 2 drivers.
No Events found!