Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

C

4 Posts

October 7th, 2008 18:00

the SC reader can't read DoD CAC

I have a new E6500 and installed the DOD middleware (Active Client) but the card reader doesn't read the newer cards. This is an issue that we have had with other card readers and the reader driver was the issue. I can't find the manufacturer of the reader to see if there are newer drivers that Dell hasn't issued. Activeclient shows it's a Broadcom and Broadcom says to call the company you bought it from. So far dells support chain is shipping a new laptop to try and fix the problem.

Message Edited by CTDPIHD on 10-08-2008 07:12 AM

6 Posts

October 23rd, 2008 22:00

silly indeed. Not only that but also ridiculous, since Dell cannot seem to fix the driver issues in at least 3 weeks! Given real effort, they could write and test a whole new set of drivers/firmware in this period of time!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 27th, 2008 21:00

We have been working on a fix for this issue. It is not a driver issue, but a firmware issue for the USH controller. We hope to have new firmware web posted as soon as it comes out of validation and system test. No firm ETA as of this time, but I will post one as soon as I get it.

Thanks for your patience.

October 30th, 2008 02:00

Is there a time line when new firmware may become available ?

3 Posts

November 14th, 2008 11:00

DELL-Bill B,  it's been a few weeks since your last post on this issue, any word on the testing of the firmware issue with the E6500 and reading CAC (smart cards)?  Thanx.

6 Posts

November 19th, 2008 11:00

Ha! Finally a firmware update has been posted.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R203757&SystemID=PREC_M4400&servicetag=&os=WXPX&osl=en&deviceid=13615&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=50&fileid=283928

Seems to have fixed the CAC card issues on my M4400.

the instructions are a bit fuzzy, but make sure you Enable and Deactivate the TPM in BIOS first, before running the updater.

Good luck to all,

AA

1 Message

November 20th, 2008 08:00

Dell-Bill,

Is this the "official" fix?  I have a Latitude D830.  By registering for this forum and giving my Service Tag number, will I be notified of the driver update?

Thanks,

NOLAGrump

January 6th, 2009 22:00

This is the official fix but not for your Latitude D830. The fix is only officially applicable to 

Latitude E4200 
Latitude E4300 
Latitude E6400 
Latitude E6400 ATG 
Latitude E6500 
Dell Precision Mobile WorkStation M2400 
Dell Precision Mobile WorkStation M4400 
Dell Precision Mobile WorkStation M6400 

Models of Laptops. I was able to do the fix on a E6400 today. Make sure you're using Version 6.1 of Active Card Software too. 

7 Posts

June 5th, 2009 11:00

I have this problem on my Latitude E6400, and the above link is now dead. 

I have the same problem on my Latitude E6400, but unfortunatley the above link is now dead.

Using google to dig through the dell forums, since dell's built in search functions provided no helpful information for "R203757" or any further discussion on this topic, I was able to find this link:

that explains that the driver is no longer available because it is "replaced with new release in 'controlpoint' subsystem"

After searching through the driver database for 'controlpoint'  i found the latest controlpoint security update here:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&deviceid=16358&libid=25&releaseid=R219153&vercnt=4&formatcnt=0&SystemID=LAT_E6400&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=-1&impid=-1

I downloaded and installed that software, rebooted and found that i still have the exact same problem.

Can someone please tell me what the new, offical way to remedy this problem is?

June 5th, 2009 12:00

What OS and Browser are you using? I pretty confident that if ActivCard can read and see your certificates on your Card, then the issue isn't with the reader or associated hardware. The reason I can say that is that the issues described above all resulted in no certificates being able to be seen.

How long ago did you do the driver fix and install? If it was less than a day or two, then I can recommend something that may seem silly to try. Take the card out and slide it back in a dozen times. Then reboot half a dozen times. This will sometimes fix similar issues my users have experienced in the past. 

I'm using ActivCard Gold 6.11 on a Precision M6400 right now using XP Pro 64 and IE7. It took me doing this benny hill style of certificate population in order for it to work when I got this unit.

7 Posts

I'm using ActivClient CAC 6.1

When I go to websites that i need the card to access, there's about a 20 second delay before ActivClient prompts me to enter my PIN, then after I enter my pin, i get the "Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage" page.  This webpage opens fine on my other laptop using the came smartcard.

Outlook also says that it can't find any authorized certificates when I try to digitially sign my emails. 

ActivClient is able to communicate with the smart card reader and display all my certificates on this machine just fine, and i've already published my certificates to windows, but nothing else on the system can seem to communicate with the smart card reader.

7 Posts

using XP Pro sp3 and IE 8.  We have 4 of these laptops that all have the same problem.  I just opened this one yesterday, did all the windows updates, and tried using the CAC card and getting the failures.  I then installed all the dell updates i could find for the system and am still having the same failure. 

Thanks,  I'll try your suggestion.  Nothing to lose from it.

What type and version of Smart Card Software are you using? IE: Active Card Gold? Also, what is the symptom, are you still not reading Smart Cards? Or are you not being prompted at certain websites?

I somehow figured out you were going to say IE8. We've had a lot of issues with it already. Try running it (IE8) in compatibility mode and see if that works. Ill download it and test it and follow up with you.

June 9th, 2009 12:00

I have a Govt Dell E6500 laptop and have the same problem, my cac works fine on other computers with the specific DoD Application (WAWF) but on this laptop I get the msg my card is NOT registered (which it is).  If i try to register again I get a msg that the certificate is invalid, digital signature or non repudiatiion key usage bit not true....

but the card works fine everywhere but on this laptop.   I have Microsoft Office 2007 sp2, xp SP3 and I.E. 8.0  and Active Client 6.1 loaded.  A co worker has the same laptop with everything the same but i.e. 7 and has the same problem with her CAC accessing this one application.  

Is there a fix anywhere that dell has posted to change out the firmware?

7 Posts

June 9th, 2009 13:00

Contact Bill-B through this link:

http://en.community.dell.com/members/DELL_2D00_Bill-B/default.aspx

And ask him for the driver update that he sent me.  It fixed the problem on all four of the laptops that we had the problem with.

No Events found!