Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

78 Posts

September 26th, 2008 12:00

touchpad tap not responsive

hi, when i point and tap i do not get a response to the tapping.  i have to do it again a couple times. i tried to change sensitivity in control panel, mouse, settings but now it won't work at all.

cant contact dell via chat or email as i'm advised my service tag is invalid.

the heat on the bottom of my screen touching my leg is so hot i think i've got scorch marks.

studio 15 laptop only 2days old.  i don't want to have to call dell as always takes an inordinate amount of time. please dell help me or anyone who has same problems.

thanks

262 Posts

October 2nd, 2008 14:00

If your laptop becomes exorbitantly hot then you have a hardware failure. It may be related to your unresponsive touchpad, but there are two places you can find the service tag on your system;

1. the first page when you boot into the BIOS will give you the value of the service tag of the motherboard.

2. the second place is a file on the hardrive that you can pull up, but it pulls it from the motherboard anyway.

This reply is a week and a half late but you need to return the system as future problems will arise from an overheating unit. If you bought it from Best Buy you have to take it back to them, or wherever it was you purchased it.

262 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 23:00

Touchpads don't go out often, perhaps a proper reseat into the motherboard would solve the problem. Keep up with communicating with them, it is a little rediculous that they are being so uncooperative.

Where did you buy the unit from anyway?

78 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 23:00

hey friend, thanks. reinstall factory settings twice, new oper sys, driver and utilities etc and half stuff that it came with disappeared and i need to tell them whats missing. call back non existent, really i have spent 10 days nearly 11 cant get no satisfaction. 

78 Posts

October 4th, 2008 12:00

i spent 7 hrs the other day on phone to support. they left me instructions to try things out and they would call me back the next day. this didn't happen and as some things that were on comp when i received it last week are missing i am also getting the same old error messages so i really wanted to speak to them.  it costs me a fortune to phone them and i usually don't get off phone for over 2hrs or more.

people on forum say it is a software problem with my security bullguard and it could well be but advisors from bullguard have tried to fix the problem for me and still no joy.  anyway i had to do a repair job even when it had just been reset to factory settings and no bullguard installed.

fine that i can send it back but i wont get discounts that were on at the time and when i buy the same specs again it is lots more money and some of the features are not available. also its concerning that i'll go thru all this again. i purchased online at dell website and they don't advise you it'll take weeks for it to be delivered. i used to like dell but something has gone wrong with their products and customer service. least of my problems but a nuisance also is the casing on this squeaks to high heaven and if i rest my palm on the palmrest (i know crazy!) the touchpad stops or sticks. there's a loud crackling sound when i boot up.

i'm loving it as you can imagine!!

262 Posts

October 6th, 2008 12:00

This sounds like a unit that needs to be returned, before the return period expires, or they need to honor the warranty and repair it when it arrives. Being so new all that I would normally tell someone to do becomes moot when Dell should do it or make sure it is done for you. Especially since I don't work for Dell.

No Events found!