Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 20th, 2008 00:00

Disk Expand in Windows

Hi,

we have windows server 2003 attached to DMX , and 100GB LUN assigned to it. we need to expand it to be 200GB.

Is it possible to do this online without losing data?.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

July 20th, 2008 02:00

If your existing LUN is a metavolume, it can be done .. if it's a single big volume, no.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

July 20th, 2008 03:00

The metavolume will remain concat/striped .. it will not change while being expanded.
Can't give feedback on performances .. Never did on a heavy utilized volume. Better to have little I/O IMHO. However YMMV. Maybe someone else may shade some light on performances.

July 20th, 2008 03:00

Is there impact on performance?
will metavolume be changed from stripe to concatenated?

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

July 21st, 2008 01:00

I did a test on a heavy loaded machine and the outcome was fabulous:

The windows volume to be expanded was a 4 part meta of 34GB in total and I added 1 symdev. The meta was RAID5 to begin with. The BCV I used (of course) was RAID1 and identically set up (also a 4 member meta with each member identical in size). However: the meta was on 10k disks and the BCV was on 15k disks.

During the expansion we monitored the performance and we noticed an increase in performance during the expansion ! This is of course because the BCV takes over all I/O load during the expansion. After the expansion was done, performance dropped back to normal and for some unknown reason during this "migration" performance was a lower than before, because of the copy back to the 10k disks and since the meta was heavily loaded the migration took some extra I/O's, dropping performance significantly. After is was done, perf was back to normal.

Conclusion: it can be done online, even in heavy I/O environments.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

July 21st, 2008 10:00

Thx for shading your lights :-) .. Did you pick them from your garden ?? :-)

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

July 22nd, 2008 00:00

No.... in this kind of weather (lots of rain) I'm working in my basement this time ;)

26 Posts

July 9th, 2010 06:00

If you need to do this online, one way would be to present a new LUN to the server, upgrade the existing volume to a dynamic disk if it isn't already and use the LVM to make a spanned volume set. This isn't the most elegant solution but it can be done online.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

you will need to shutdown the server, unmap the LUN, create a concatenated meta, bring the system back online and use diskpart the extend the partition.

22 Posts

Hi,

I want to expand a lun (now the lun is not meta) online which is attached to the wintel server, could you please share the steps on how to do that?

Environment:

Windows 2003 STD SP2

Frame - DMX 3

Microcode - 5771.111

Symcli - V6.4.0.4

Thanks

Martin

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 9th, 2010 07:00

another option is to use Powerpath migration and migrate to a bigger device online.

2 Intern

• 

1.3K Posts

July 12th, 2010 02:00

LVM in Windows ??

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 12th, 2010 07:00

what you get in windows is veritas "basic", so it is LVM ..not as sophisticated as their full version "veritas storage foundation"

54 Posts

July 27th, 2010 00:00

A single (non meta disk) can be expanded to a concatenated meta - without losing data and then the resulting meta can be converted to a stripped meta

See knowledgebase article emc223563 "How can I expand a LUN into a metaLUN while preserving data?"

Form a concatenated meta device with the LUN as a metahead.  Then use SymConfigure to convert the meta device to striped.  Be sure to use the 'preserve data' option.  Refer to the EMC Solutions Enabler Symmetrix Configuration Change CLI Guide available on Powerlink for more information.

Note that only the data on the Meta head will be preserved when creating the concatenated Meta

154 Posts

July 27th, 2010 05:00

Assist:  http://csgateway.emc.com/primus.asp?id=emc223563

Dave Yates

EMC TSE3

Benevolent Host Systems Moderator

"Il Moderatore Benevolo"

No Events found!