Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 9th, 2013 08:00

How do I migrate from HP-UX to Linux?

We are in the process of migrating Oracle DataBases from HP-UX 11.11 to RHEL Linux (new version).  I'm on the Storage Team.  I can "swing" the volumes from the old server to the new server.  Can the Linux Server read an "HP-UX LVM" filesystem?

I was surprised some years ago to learn that Linux can read Windows file systems.  Can Linux read HP-UX LVM filesystems?

We have discussed using NFS exports/mounts, but that reads the data over the network, which is slower than "presenting" the HP-UX volumes over Fibre Channel.

Stuart

July 14th, 2013 15:00

Stuart,

Please consider moving this question as-is (no need to recreate) to the proper forum for maximum visibility.  Questions written to the users' own "Discussions" space don't get the same amount of attention and questions can go unanswered for a long time. 

You can do so by selecting "Move" under ACTIONS along the upper-right.  Then search for and select: "Host System Support Forum" which would be the most relevant for this question.

Seeing though that three months have elapsed since you posted, maybe you have already completed the migration?  If so, once relocated, consider sharing the resolution and also marking the question as "Answered" so that it can help others that have the same question.

I'm fairly certain, as you also suspected, you are looking at a file-based migration to copy the data from one (file) system to another.  Let's get this post moved and get the collective wisdom of the community of dedicated customers, partners, and EMC employees that are eager to assist.

2 Intern

• 

138 Posts

October 4th, 2013 11:00

What about ASM Volumes?

I recently found that Linux can mount Solaris UFS filesystems with command "mount -t -r ufs".

Is there a Linux "mount option" for HP-UX?  What about "mount -t -r hpfs"?  Will that work?

Stuart

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

October 4th, 2013 13:00

google hpfs

2 Intern

• 

138 Posts

October 7th, 2013 07:00

Apparently "hpfs" refers to an old IBM OS2 file system used (or actually not-much-used) on PCs in the 90s.  Not HP-UX.

So, I'm going to guess that you can't read HP-UX LVM volumes on LInux.  Too bad.

No Events found!