Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

4 Posts

September 22nd, 2020 11:00

Windows 10 2004 not working after imaging with ImageAssist and Encrypting using TPM and ESET Endpoint Encryption.

A bit of a long title but I can't encrypt any of my several hundred Latitude 7490 after building them with ImageAssist.  If i build from a fresh Windows 10 ISO USB it works fine but imaging causes issues.  Can anyone offer any advise? 

Here's the process 

• I built a new virtual machine in vsphere
  • I used the latest windows 10 2004 boot iso 
  • Installed windows 10 2004 (and nothing else)
  • Installed the latest Dell image assist tools (V10)
  • Created an image and uploaded to server
  • Booted a new laptop and using image assist
  • Selected the image to use from the server and built
  • Once built renamed the computer , rebooted
  • Decrypted bitlocker's auto encrypt 
  • Logged in and joined to the domain, rebooted
  • Cleared tpm in bios. 
  • Pushed eset endpoint encryption software to computer
  • Created activation code and applied. Rebooted
  • Ran the take ownership tpm process and rebooted laptop
  • Ran proxy sync and taking ownership fails error code 3. 

If i take the same laptop and buld from scratch (i.e. using a windows 10 2004 USB boot device), it works fine.  The process of creating an image, or deploying (perhaps) sysprep breaks things.

Any thoughts?

Stuart

52 Posts

September 30th, 2020 06:00

Hello Stuart, I have not come across that issue, and not sure I could replicate it here in the lab. I believe you are on to something with suspecting Sysprep. The ImageAssist tool will sysprep the image and if selected, copy the user profile. If you selected the "copy profile" feature, I would rebuild with it not selected. If you still have issues, then next I would make another build from scratch and manually sysprep /generalize that image and test that. Other than sysprepping and maybe copying the profile, the DIA tool doesn't do much to the image itself, other than capturing it. 

November 26th, 2020 10:00

I get the exact same problem with Lenovo X380, X390 and X13 Yoga laptops. If I ignore the sysprep part and just image the laptops, ESET takes control of the TMP. I use CCleaner and DeviceCleanup after imaging.

No Events found!