Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 22nd, 2016 05:00

ImageAssist Stuck - VMWare Workstation 12

Hi Everyone,

I am having an issue where ImageAssist gets stuck indefinitely at a specific point each time that I run it. I am attempting to capture a Windows 10 OEM image created using VMWare Workstation 12. This post outlines the exact steps that I have taken:

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/f/4916/t/19804114

ImageAssist then hangs at step 32 of that process as shown in the screenshot below:

I actually left ImageAssist running overnight and it never progressed beyond this point. The Virtual Hard Disk is certainly large enough (60GB) and I have not had any issues with the image at all. I even started from scratch and re-created the whole image to test again and ImageAssist still hangs at this exact step.

Any assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated!

52 Posts

July 25th, 2016 07:00

Hello,

Windows 10 does a lot of things during a "Windows Update". Running it in a VM is a good idea as to not get driver updates. There are a few more things that occur which cause issues. The reason ImageAssist usually fails after an update is because the system can no longer be sysprepped. To verify that, you can manually browse to sysprep. C:\windows\System32\sysprep and run the executable. If sysprep fails, then the IA tool will fail as well. The biggest culprit is when the OS itself is upgraded. Windows 10 will upgrade to the newest version which will not allow sysprep to run. Microsoft is telling us that "Redstone" will not have this issue. Also be aware that "Candy crush Saga" and "Twitter" may install as well, causing sysprep to no longer work. Hope this helps...TK

July 22nd, 2016 14:00

After some troubleshooting and reverting the image to various snapshots, I was able to determine that this issue occurs when I attempt to run ImageAssist AFTER installing Windows Updates. Below is a screenshot that shows all of the updates installed using Windows Update (just a single round):

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this causes ImageAssist to fail?

July 25th, 2016 12:00

Thanks for the explanation! I will hold off on performing Windows Updates for now and redo he Image after Redstone comes out. I did make a registry change to prevent Candy Crush and Twitter from installing.

No Events found!