Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 7th, 2019 13:00

USB creation tool 6.8.0.1 just bricked 2x thumb drives

Just bricked 2x of my thumb drives trying to created a bootable Dell IA thumb drive.  First one wiped my primary thumb drive for imaging, aka, it was working properly and now cannot read or format the drive.  It won't even list the size when I attempt to format.  Repeated this with a test 16GB thumb drive.

These drives are not free and this is starting to be a more time consuming task than it was before... what's the issue with this tool?  Any alternatives that work to push a .WIM that will not brick my thumb drives?

• 

309 Posts

March 8th, 2019 07:00

It's possible there is a hardware / firmware issue causing the problem. Try re-creating the DIA drive on another system.

When you email the heldpdesk team (US_OSImaging@Dell.com) please include the log files from the system it originally failed on.

c:\windows\panther\dtri\logs

Thank you,

Tyler

• 

309 Posts

March 8th, 2019 06:00

Will, Sorry to hear of the issues you're experiencing. In instances where we've seen a drive creation fail, the drive is most often recoverable using disk management with a reformat. Will you please send your contact information to our US helpdesk email and ask that this be escalated to me? US_OSImaging@Dell.com Thank you, Tyler McLaughlin

March 8th, 2019 07:00

Sounds great.  I'll run through the steps for such a recovery.

How can I format this drive so I can push my image to the 7060 that needs to be installed during UEFI bootup?  I am going to assume it will continue to do this to all thumb drives?  Is there an earlier version or tutorial how to accomplish this?

No Events found!