Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 12th, 2021 08:00

BIOS Update Running Over 2 Hours

I have Inspiron 3650.

Support Assist recommended upgrading BIOS to 3.12.1

BIOS Update Running Over 2 Hours.  The last time I updated it, I thought it took 15 minutes.

What to do now?  Let it keep going?  Reboot & start over?

What is the likelihood it won't reboot if I restart PC?

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

May 12th, 2021 09:00

You can try and let it keep running but eventually you may just have to reboot the system. Read this Dell support page as I believe you have the Skylake chipset so BIOS Recovery should work on your system if you find that the system will not boot due to a failed BIOS update.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 12th, 2021 11:00

@BlairBrenner  - Hopefully the PC will reboot normally after you power off and then on again, without needing a BIOS Recovery.

Tell us how you launched this BIOS update, using SupportAssist, or manually inside Windows   or via a bootable USB stick? And is BIOS set to UEFI or Legacy, if using a bootable USB stick?

IMO, it's safer to update BIOS without using SupportAssist...

May 12th, 2021 12:00

After about 4 hours, a window popped up saying to close all other programs (had them closed for 4 hours).  Closed the other programs and then asked if I wanted to flash the BIOS.  OK.

Bios then flashed in 30-60 minutes (did not watch once process looked like it was owrking)>

System rebooted OK.

Ran Support Assist again - no messages or updates suggested.

PC seems to be running fine.

Thank you for all your help.

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

May 12th, 2021 12:00

Happy to help out and more so glad that all went smoothly!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 12th, 2021 16:00

@BlairBrenner  Glad you didn't get a bricked motherboard...

But I think there's a lesson here. Next time there's a BIOS update, do it manually, without SupportAssist in the middle.

1. Make sure you're logged into an account with Admin privileges
  2. Download the BIOS update .exe file onto the desktop
  3. Temporarily disable your antiviral app
  4. Double-click the BIOS .exe file and let it run and automatically reboot the PC
  5. When you get back at the desktop, confirm your antiviral app is running again
No Events found!