Start a Conversation

Unsolved

U

2 Intern

• 

161 Posts

February 21st, 2020 10:00

BIOS Update while in Windows 7 Pro

Can I do a BIOS Update while in Windows 7 Pro on a machine that came with Windows 8?  I installed Windows 7 Pro on my Windows 8 machine years ago but want to move to 10 soon and I still have an old BIOS.  I haven't updated the BIOS yet because I didn't want it to slow my computer down, because it includes one of those Security Updates.  Or should I wait to till after I install 10?  

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 21st, 2020 11:00

Always include the exact PC model in your OP.

Do you have a valid Microsoft product key for Win 7 Pro?

2 Intern

• 

161 Posts

February 21st, 2020 14:00

I don't think it matters one bit what the model of the pc is but... Inspiron 660s SFF

Of course it is a valid license.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 22nd, 2020 06:00

bios updates must be run as adminstrator and ANTIVIRUS software must be removed.

Otherwise it will crash and brick the machine.   Chipset and INTEL Management engine drivers are required.

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

February 22nd, 2020 07:00

yes you must be logged in, for it to know what to do..

NO PC told at all, just INSPIRON.DESKTOP no , model and size,  (all 3 must be told , so far 1 of 3)

the newest one all you do is use F12  Update BIOS,  the most safe way on EARTH. is this, (unless have UPS AC power backup on line too)

do not upgrade in lightning storms or power outages/surges common in  the HOOD NOW./

if you read your BIOS page, it sells you even a LINUX Dell PC can be bios upgraded. clear as day.

that tells you lots.

F12 way best(super super safe) if there. power on hammer F12, see window see update BIOS>?

send way is DDDP, way DELL DOS way

and last using windows to do that (with fingers in your ears, praying not to brick the beast)

(dell Inspiron zino 300 circa 2009) what is your PC. wild guess,  here, .....

2 Intern

• 

161 Posts

February 22nd, 2020 09:00

Thanks guys but I will not participate in this Forum any more unless it will allow me to stay logged in! Hope Dell is watching.

Some thoughts. Why not simply glance in the upper right to verify that you see your icon? Then you will know if your are logged or not? Also, all composing should be done in Notepad. This way you never lose the data. DELL-Admin

Capture.JPG

No Events found!