Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 25th, 2022 03:00

BIOS upgrade mistake

Inspiron 3910

Inspiron 3910

About 4 days ago my Inspiron 3910 was offered a number of updates through the DELL update system including one for the BIOS. Having accepted it, instead of starting straight up into w11 after the install, it opened with a screen requiring one of 2 options to be checked. both had Inspiron 3910 in the wording with one including the phrase China HDD protection. There was no guidance as to these choices at all. I had no idea which to choose or their significance. Because I thought I remembered reading something about protection relating to the 3910, I selected that option. It went to another screen but in the panic of the moment I don't recall what happened there! Anyway my PC is now identified as "Inspiron 3910 - China HDD Protection" which I'm pretty sure it wasn't before and I realised I must've selected the wrong option. I've tried downloading an earlier BIOS to reverse the update but when I attempt to install it it fails to install with an error showing "unsupported image".

As far as I can tell the PC is running fine. But I would really appreciate advice about this situation and any implications.

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

October 23rd, 2022 16:00

Put the latest one on an empty (non-bootable) 2-GB USB that's formatted FAT32.

With BIOS Downgrading enabled in BIOS setup, plug that USB into PC with power fully off. Power on and start tapping F12. When the F12 menu opens, select the BIOS flash update option and follow the prompts.

September 25th, 2022 07:00

I had the exact same experience a few days ago with the same results.  I have noticed that now when I run SupportAssist the main screen specifically says "Keep your Inspiron 3910-China HDD Protection running at its best". The first time I ran Microsoft Word following all of this it informed me I was running it on a different device and would need to reactivate my license.  I was able to do this successfully.

As far as I can tell the PC is running fine. But I would really appreciate advice about this situation and any implications.

Thank You...

9 Legend

• 

11.8K Posts

September 25th, 2022 07:00

Probably no real implication for average user.  Chat w Dell for tech support to revert to factory installed bios settings.

“Dell HDD Protection is China only solution that will be applicable on OptiPlex Desktop. It is a remote PC protection and management tool
that allows user to use a master PC to quickly deploy OS images to other client PCs and manage/protect remote client PCs without a
need for an extra server (the master PC plays the server role). When replacing system board, technicians must refer to the label for China
HDD Protection information on the back of the side cover, to determine if the customer has purchased China HDD protection and set the  option accordingly in SMMM. The China HDD Protection label is similar to the iAMT Vpro label”

162 Posts

September 26th, 2022 00:00

You can do this one of three ways:
Boot into the BIOS and reset it to the factory settings. If you are able to boot into the BIOS, go ahead and do so.
Remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard. Unplug your computer and open your computer's case to access the motherboard.
Reset the jumper.

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

9 Posts

September 26th, 2022 01:00

I have booted into the BIOS.  I see that the Downgrade BIOS slider is in the "ON" position, indicating that it is allowed, but I cannot see anywhere in the BIOS screens to reset it to factory. There is a button at the foot of the BIOS screen saying DEFAULT something (I've forgotten the other word as I type) but I'm reluctant to assume that is the way in case it does something else. If I try to use a previous BIOS downloaded from the DELL support page for my unit the file won't run, showing "unsupported image" error. Other "normal" updates are working fine, just not the BIOS one. I've tried several.

9 Posts

September 26th, 2022 01:00

Incredibly , DELL will not assist me. They refer me to CURRYS, where I bought it in July. CURRYS won't assist either saying its not a hardware issue and I'm not covered for anything else! Thanks anyway for the reply.

9 Posts

September 26th, 2022 02:00

Just used that "DEFAULT" button in the BIOS screen which I understand is a reset. The PC identity has not changed. I think, if I could only have some reassurance from DELL, or another, that it is not going to cause a problem, I would forget about it. But I'm a bit concerned about getting the "unsupported image" error when trying to use a downloaded BIOS install file from DELL. On their support page for my unit it offers a BIOS update which is marked CRITICAL, but the error means I can't install it.

The PC seems fine and I suppose if I never need to update the BIOS again it won't matter. In hindsight, I should never have allowed the DELL update program to install it, but I just assumed it was necessary.

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

October 4th, 2022 11:00

Dell clearly messed up with the bios release offered a couple weeks ago (v1.5.2).  They have pulled that release and the latest one offered now is back to v1.4.1 (from August 10th).  How something like that gets past QA is beyond me, though my impressions of Dell's quality over the past few years leads me to believe they don't really have any substantive QA procedures anymore.  What's extra odd to me in this case is they haven't issued a new BIOS to handle whatever vulnerabilities were supposed to be addressed in the now pulled release, but instead just leave us with the earlier version.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

October 4th, 2022 12:00

@dlong500  - You have no way to know why they pulled v1.5.2 of BIOS. It could have zero to do with the issue raised by the OP in this thread. 

There are times when bugs get discovered only after an update gets released and installed on thousands of PCs. Just look at how many times Microsoft and Intel mess things up. They try to fix one thing and end up breaking something else...

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

October 18th, 2022 11:00

@RoHe So you're saying that a BIOS update that asks the user to select between modes including some specialty China market management mode (and won't proceed until a selection is made) isn't really a bug?  And that it wouldn't be grounds for pulling the BIOS (even though the BIOS release was pulled).  To be clear, the exact same thing happened to me, so it isn't just a weird thing that happened to the OP.  There was clearly a mistake made with the v1.5.2 BIOS release.

Oh, and they do now have a v1.6.1 BIOS (released on 10/14).  Curiously, there is no "older versions" section anymore so you can't even see the release history like you typically can (and still can on other hardware models).

The bottom line here is that Dell messed up and then proceeded to act like it wasn't their problem when the OP contacted support. They then pulled the BIOS release.  Make of that what you will.

October 21st, 2022 06:00

I also was caught in the v1.5.2 trap in late September.  I have not attempted to apply any of the fixes referenced above nor have I updated to the v.1.6.1 BIOS.  Consequently, my 3910 is still referring to itself as a China HDD Protection model.  Now that v.1.6.1 is available I am curious if updating to it is safe, possible and advisable.  I would appreciate any feedback or personal experiences that could be provided.  Thanks in advance for your response.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

October 21st, 2022 13:00

@Qwerty3910  - You should be ok updating to BIOS 1.6.1 <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> by following the instructions for Updating the BIOS from BIOS Boot Menu (independent of operating system) on that page.

I've pinged my Dell contacts about providing a link to the last version prior to 1.5.2 so the PC can be downgraded to remove 1.5.2, and then upgraded directly to 1.6.1, but no feedback so far on when/if that will happen.

9 Posts

October 22nd, 2022 02:00

That would be good if your suggestion is acted on. But any attempts to downgrade my BIOS fail with the "unsupported image" error.

9 Posts

October 22nd, 2022 02:00

Having seen the posting here re v1.6.1, I decided to risk it, as much to see if the BIOS would actually upgrade, as I had been unable to downgrade it after the original issue as detailed in an earlier post.

Anyway, v1.6.1 installed without incident but the PC is still identified as China HDD. At least I know the BIOS will upgrade. I just wonder why there can't be a future upgrade that would restore the original PC identity.

As the PC appears to be operating normally, it would be nice if DELL could reassure those who made the original mistake, like myself, that there will be no future issues as a result of this China HDD variation. I live in hope!

(So glad I upgraded when I did - the following day we had a power-cut at about the same time!)

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

October 22nd, 2022 12:00

@Paul29291  Did you enable the BIOS downgrade option in BIOS setup before attempting to downgrade and then used a USB stick and the F12 BIOS flash update option? What size Is the USB stick and is it formatted FAT32?

What version(s) of BIOS did you attempt to downgrade to when you got that "unsupported image" message? Are using the .exe version of BIOS, not the .rcv file?

It's possible once v.1.5.2 is installed with the China HDD protection option selected, there may be no way to downgrade to a prior version that would remove that option.

No Events found!