Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

June 7th, 2021 13:00

Could I fit a RTX 3070 ti inside the G5 5000?

The 3070 ti is 10.5 inches in length. I believe this 3070 is 9.5, it looks like there's literally an inch of space left between it and the case. This case by the way, WOW! What. A. Piece.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 7th, 2021 16:00

If there's only an inch of space with the RTX 3070, the Ti might not fit. And, being longer, it could further decrease air flow inside this case, which is already an issue.

The other issue is that NVidia recommends a 750W PSU for the Ti, which is 100W more than they recommend for the 3070.

The G5 5000 has either a 350W or 500W stock PSU. Dell OEM video cards typically require less power than 'retail' versions of the same card so they can work with a smaller PSU. A retail Ti may be pushing/exceeding the limits of the PSU. The G5 5000 PSU is a non-standard design and -so far- there are no after-market replacement PSUs with higher wattage that will fit inside this case.

Besides, video card prices have skyrocketed recently because of chip shortages, so is this even a good time to replace a pretty decent GPU?

If you do replace the stock GPU, you'll have to disable Secure Boot in BIOS setup before swapping cards.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 8th, 2021 12:00

I don't think you made a mistake. The G5 5000 is a nice PC with a very good GPU for the price. Most OEMs are using smaller cases now because they take up less space, are lighter, less expensive, etc. And they need a customized PSU to squeeze into that smaller space without generating too much heat and/or using too much power.

There is always going to be new hardware. Just a fact of PC life. And with so many peeps working at home this last year and needing to upgrade their PCs, manufacturers have pushed out lots of new hardware.

Looking at the NVidia link I posted above, I don't see a lot of major differences between the 3070 and the Ti. Check around on the net for an actual side-by-side comparison between these two cards to see if the Ti really performs any better or not...

There are lots of threads about modding the G5 5000 with a better heat sink, fans, etc, etc. So have a look at some of those and see what others are doing with the G5 5000, if you want a DIY project.

And just enjoy your new toy...!

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

June 8th, 2021 08:00

Thank you so much for all the incredible information, and even answering the questions I didn't think to ask about the psu. I really don't need to replace the 3070, I just really feel jabbed by nvidia as I bought my pc in April assuming that there weren't going to be any new cards released until Fall/Winter. Don't need it but I have the ability to buy one locally at retail price. The scalpocolypse is literally the only reason I looked into it because I could probably sell my used 3070 and still get more than I would pay for the brand new ti. Just more headache about this case I guess. I really should have done more due diligence on the case. I reaIly wanted to build my first pc myself but pre-builds were the only way I could afford to get a card. I rushed myself and it's just my typical luck.

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

June 9th, 2021 12:00

Yeah you're def right. Imo the 3070 does seem better in comparison. Especially with the ti having it's mining ability nerfed for at least the time being. I can't really upgrade outside of cpu and ram, but thanks man, not even upset at all anymore. I got the best bang for my buck. I'm used to console gaming and have a PS5 as well so now I really don't plan to look into building a new rig until at least the pro line of consoles release.

1 Rookie

• 

44 Posts

November 28th, 2021 12:00

You can fit the Founder’s Edition inside of an XPS 8940 case!  You will have to wire some additional power connectors off of the CPU power rail and this might not work with processors above 65w TDP, but additional power is necessary because the 3070ti is 290w TDP.  

My setup is still going strong but if you only have a 360w PSU, the 3060ti (or possibly 3070) is right for you!

No Events found!