Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 28th, 2018 10:00

Dell Inspiron 24 3455 slow and update won't work

I bought this Dell All in One computer Last April (2017) so warranty has expired and Dell will not help me till I buy a new warranty. So I am hoping someone here can help me. This computer has been kinda slow right out of the box but continues to get slower. I have fast internet so that's not the problem, it's slow opening programs, running programs like email, just moving the mouse around the screen sometimes. I have removed all the windows animations, drop shadows or any other fancy stuff. I have run all the diagnostic, run clean up tools, malware software, defragged it, everything I can think of. I have tons of free space on C:/ drive so that's not an issue.  I have never had this problem with any other computer. Now every few hours Dell update pops up and says i need to install AMD Radon R5/R4/R2/R5 A330 Graphics Controller driver. I click ok and then a few minutes later it says I need to restart. Then in a while it pops back up again! So I finally went to the Dell site to try to download it but it says it can't be installed at this time. Is this because they are holding my updates hostage till I buy a new warranty?? I have never had this happen before.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 28th, 2018 10:00

It's a little extreme (and you might have to get a family-member or friend to help you) but I suggest you:

- Backup your data-files
- swap the spinning hard-drive for a 240gb-512gb SSD - installed as bootable C: drive
- clean-install Windows-10
- Let Windows install the drivers it thinks you need
- Reinstall required programs
- Restore data

In the long-run I think the computer will work better for you, and it will certainly be much faster.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/fixed/td-p/5627124

And while it might sound like "SSD hype" ... I have seen systems install updates and patches more reliably vs systems with spinning HDD.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 28th, 2018 15:00

I have no idea how to do most of that. Sounds like it would be easier to buy a new computer, like an Acer or HP.  Oh well I just know I will never buy a Dell again. Thanks for the info.

:Huh?:

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 28th, 2018 15:00

@Anonymouswrote:

I have no idea how to do most of that. Sounds like it would be easier to buy a new computer, like an Acer or HP.  Oh well I just know I will never buy a Dell again. Thanks for the info.

:Huh?:

It's not that hard.

If you are not technically-inclined, cook your friend dinner and they could take care of it that evening. You can get a Kingston 240gb 2.5inch SATA SSD for $75. 

https://amzn.to/2GA9uzo

Sure, you could get a HP. Just make sure it comes with a Solid-State-Drive (SSD).

But if you are not tied to Windows, and maybe you have an iPhone ... drop by your local Apple store and check-out the iMacs. :Cool:

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 28th, 2018 20:00

Dell Update and/or Dell Support Assist may be part or all of your problem.

Open Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and click the Startup tab. Assuming they're listed, uncheck both Dell Update and Dell Support Assist. Exit task manager and reboot.

Does that help?

No Events found!