Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

1 Message

May 15th, 2021 09:00

Dell Inspiron 3471

My Dell Inspiron 3471 won't connect to the internet via ethernet. I had ordered this Dell from Amazon, and I specified an ethernet desktop not wireless. I was sent a desktop that doesn't have a LAN card. I discovered this in the Device Manager. I have the desktop, keyboard, mouse boxed up ready to return to seller. A response from Dell is appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 15th, 2021 10:00

I see 4 listings on the US Amazon site.  3 new and 1 refurbished.  All are from resellers and not direct from Dell.  Thus your complaint is with the resellers, not Dell.  Resellers, even stores such as Costco or Office Depot, order Dell's to their spec's and then resell them and thus not customizable.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 15th, 2021 16:00

And one more thing, make sure you have the Reatek Ethernet driver installed on the Inspiron 3471.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 15th, 2021 16:00

@Forthemoney  - Hang on a nano-second, the Inspiron 3471 specs say it has onboard 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet built into the motherboard. It's not a separate add-in card. The Ethernet port is #7 on the back panel:

3471.jpg

You have to connect that port using an Ethernet cable to your router. (An Ethernet cable rated "CAT6" is best choice.) There are 2 LEDs next to that connector which should light up when PC is connected to the router that  tell you if it sees the network and the connection speed between PC and the router. If LEDs aren't on, you may have to reboot the router (power it off, wait ~1-2 min, power on again).

And then, you have to go to the Ethernet screen in Win 10 to configure your PC so it can connect to the internet. Your router and network should be protected with a password that you set yourself by changing the router's default password. You may have to enter that password as part of the Win 10 Ethernet network setup so PC has permission to connect to your router.

No Events found!