Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 9th, 2022 17:00

Dell Inspiron 3650 Flashing amber with 2nd SSD

I bought a 1 TB Sandisk SSD for my Inspiron 3650.    Upon power up (after connecting) the LED on the Dell flashes amber and no boot up.    Is this the sign of a bad power supply or something I'm doing wrong?    All I want is a secondary SSD with which to store music and videos.  

11 Posts

August 13th, 2022 05:00

Great news!  It was a bad power cord.   I bought a more "robust" looking cord on Amazon and everything powered on with no issues.   This other power cord will be receiving a negative review in short order. 

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

August 10th, 2022 05:00

Are you hearing any beeps with the flashing amber power button? Also you could try removing the CMOS battery for 15 minutes then reinstalling. While you are at it try replacing the battery with a brand new recently purchased battery. The 1TB should work as Crucial recommends up to and including a 4TB SATA SSD.

11 Posts

August 10th, 2022 06:00

I will try that later today.  No beeps

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

August 10th, 2022 11:00

Re: Upon power up (after connecting) the LED on the Dell flashes amber and no boot up. 

does your pc boot when you disconnect the second new ssd?  if it still flashes amber with the original ssd, then resetting cmos is good direction to go.

if the pc only flashes amber and does not boot with two ssds connected, but boots fine with the old ssd only, then something wrong with the new ssd setup.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 10th, 2022 12:00

Count the number of amber blinks which is an error code. Each group of blinks will be separated by a short pause and then the same number of blinks repeats followed by another pause...

11 Posts

August 10th, 2022 14:00

Alright guys.  Reset the BIOS.  (As opposed to taking out the CMOS battery for 15 minutes and replacing due to circumstances I'll discuss in a separate reply).   I reset the BIOS, reinstalled the SSD, and the PC struggles to start.   I get one single flash of the amber LED and that's it, no action.   To me, seems like a power supply issue?   I'll double check documentation on error codes.  

11 Posts

August 10th, 2022 15:00

Few other things took place too.   Within the struggle to originally go ahead and take out the CMOS battery,.I must've ruined the soldered connection between the battery and the main board, hence why all I did was load the BIOS, and loaded setup defaults.  Then I proceeded to disconnect the power supply cord from the mainboard itself, then reconnect it.   Upon reconnection, I noticed a solid amber LED.   I turned it on and it said that the CMOS was reset (earlier I had mentioned that the battery housing on the CMOS may have gotten damaged) therefore my assumption of damage to the CMOS battery housing is correct.   So, I reset the time in the BIOS, tried to boot with 2nd SSD, and all I get is one single flash of the amber LED and that's it.  No action

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 10th, 2022 17:00

You didn't answer the question about PC booting -or not- when the 2nd SSD is removed. 

I'm confused. If it said CMOS was reset, that's what you'd expect after removing the motherboard battery and pressing/holding power button for ~30 sec before reinstalling the battery. And then you have to reset date/time. So why do you think you damaged the board?

That said, 1 amber blink = BIOS ROM Checksum in progress or failure. So it's possible the board was  already dead because you said the power button flashed amber, even before you attempted to remove the battery.

Unless somebody has a better idea, you may have to replace the motherboard or shop for a new PC. You can always contact Dell Out Of Warranty Repair for a repair estimate. Or buy the same board somewhere and DIY.

11 Posts

August 11th, 2022 15:00

Sorry I didn't clarify.  The PC will not boot with the 2nd SSD but it does boot without it.  

11 Posts

August 11th, 2022 17:00

Not in RAID mode.   Not sure what else this could be.  May have to get a different PC.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 11th, 2022 17:00

@techno935  Let's back up...

Is the 2nd SSD a SATA SSD, or are you using a PCI-e>NVME adapter card for a NVME SSD?

Is BIOS set to RAID or AHCI? (Do not change the setting.)  If it's set to RAID, that could be your problem. Remove the new SSD and then re-configure Windows to use AHCI, but you have to do it the right way, or you'll end up having to reinstall everything:

1. Open a CMD prompt window, Run as administrator

2. Copy-paste this command, which will start Windows in Safe Mode the next time you reboot: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal and press Enter

3. Restart the computer and enter BIOS setup

4. Change SATA operation mode from RAID to AHCI

5. Save the change and exit Setup. Windows will automatically boot in Safe Mode

6. Open CMD prompt again, as in step #1

7. Copy-paste this command, which will start Windows in Normal Mode the next time you reboot: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot and press Enter

8. Reboot and Windows should automatically start with AHCI drivers enabled

9. Assuming PC boots ok using AHCI drivers, power off normally

10. Install 2nd SSD and see if it boots now...

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 11th, 2022 19:00

You didn't answer my questions about type of SSD etc.

And how is the boot sequence set BIOS setup? Windows Boot Manager should always be first...

11 Posts

August 11th, 2022 22:00

Standard 2.5" SATA drive.   I believe Boot Manager is 1st but I'll check

11 Posts

August 12th, 2022 01:00

Windows Boot Manager is 1st

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 12th, 2022 11:00

Could it just be a bum 1T SSD?  Does BIOS see it, even if PC won't boot?

Any chance you could test this SSD in another PC?

Is the boot drive connected to the blue SATA port on the motherboard?

Is the 1T SSD connected to one of the black SATA ports on the board?

Have you tried both black SATA ports, and are you sure the cable is correctly connected at both ends?

White SATA port is for optical drive and is half the speed of the blue and black SATA ports, but you can try it too.

The online manual doesn't list BIOS options, so is there an option to enable individual SATA ports? Make sure any unused SATA ports are disabled.

If BIOS has a Legacy option, is it enabled?

If BIOS has a Secure Boot option, is it enabled?

Assuming the SSD isn't DOA, you could install it in an external drive enclosure that connects to the PC via USB3. That way you could still use the SSD, without needing a whole new PC.

No Events found!