Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

6 Posts

March 13th, 2019 21:00

Dimension 3000, GeForce FX5500, 1909W monitor

Hello, I own a Dell Dimension 3000 Desktop (I know it’s old don’t tell me to get a new computer as it isn’t an option to me) Anyways. I bought a PCI Nvidia GeForce FX5500 GPU to connect to my Dell 1909W monitor. 

Whenever I plug the VGA cable into the on-board graphics it works fine. But when I plug it into the GPU VGA port. My monitor enters powersave mode. I have done everything I can think of (Imcluding multiple google searches.) But nothing has fixed my issue. I’m attempting to run dual monitors (Dell 1909, and some sort of old 4:3 BENQ monitor.) I had it running before but the resolution was terrible (600x400) but now it stopped working and will only run off on-board graphics.

March 13th, 2019 21:00

I forgot to mention that the GPU is brand new old stock, and that that the 1909W only enters powersave mode when connected to the GPU. I plan to run the 1909 off the GPU and the BENQ of the on-board graphics. 

573 Posts

March 13th, 2019 23:00

Hi @Moore_77363 ,

1st of all, there should be an display options in Dimension 3000 BIOS stating "on-board or auto". Make should that it's in "Auto". 

If it's in "Auto" already and you still got image only from the on-board VGA port, it means add-on display card not detected. Try to swap and test it on other PCI slots. If nothing changed, it may stand for a defective or non-compatible display card. In fact, google for "dell dimension 3000 geforce fx5500" and you'll find many posts with users suffer from the same problem.

Moreover, noted that Dimension 3000 do not support dual display from onboard GPU + discrete GPU, i.e. it won't work as what you planned for (One display connect onboard & the other one connect discrete GPU). You could only set it up by 1 discrete GPU with 2 output ports, or 2 discrete GPUs.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 14th, 2019 04:00

The issue is Likely the card.

Pentium 4 based machines require UNIVERSAL PCI cards.  All Dimension 3000's use 3.3v cards.

That means your video card must have 2 key ways and support PCI-2.2 or higher.  You cannot use a 5v only card. Fitting into the slot does not mean it works.

PCI 2.2 cards have 2 keywaysPCI 2.2 cards have 2 keyways

A machine a few years newer will run all operating systems from MSDOS all the way thru windows 10.

That machine is an Optiplex GX620 Tower.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/REFURBISHED-Optiplex-GX620-Tower-400GB-HDD-4GB-Ram-DVD-Rom-Windows-XP-Professional/803416719

You could even take the Drive from the 3000 and put into this box and it would work.

March 14th, 2019 08:00

Thank you for all your information! But even though you told me I couldn’t do it, I managed to successfully connect dual monitors as I originally planned. I have no clue what I did (Besides put the GPU into the middle PCI slot) But it somehow started working!

No Events found!