Start a Conversation

Unsolved

U

161 Posts

January 24th, 2020 08:00

Driver Backup Folders

I've backed up a few Driver Folders but mostly on HP computers as I was advised.  I will be moving from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 at some point.  I know Windows 10 is pretty good at bringing in drivers but I want to be prepared, especially on my main work pc.

My question is for Dell computers, do I Copy the contents of the 'drivers' folder and the 'DriverStore' folder to get all the important drivers? or is it just one that I need?

Or should I get the drivers/en-US and DriverStore/en-US or again, just one of those?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 24th, 2020 09:00

C:\Dell\Drivers

Depends on which machine we are talking about.

The business class systems have a single cab file that has all the drivers.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=gr1xm

161 Posts

January 24th, 2020 09:00

There is no 'C:\Dell\Drivers'' there is only the ones I posted, which are pretty typical.  I've Copied bothe of them before but wanted to save myself some time and drive space.  

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

January 24th, 2020 11:00

But will drivers that work in Win 7 work in Win 10?

And even if they do, you have to install them into Win 10. You can't just copy the files over and expect them to work. Why not just save those folders on a USB stick or external HDD, just in case...?

I was very surprised at how good Win 10 is at installing drivers. Canon said they don't support my color printer with Win 10.  But when I connected the printer to the new PC, Win 10 recognized it immediately, installed a driver and the printer works perfectly, even though Canon said "no"...

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 29th, 2020 09:00

Windows VISTA and Windows 7  WDDM 1.0 drivers work with windows 10.

HOWEVER Dell is not obligated to support an older model.  This was an issue as early as 2007 with the Windows Vista Capable controversy. By 2009 windows 7 was released.  Windows 8 came out in 2012.

Not supported does not mean not working.

Most Dell Models from 2006 on with AT LEAST Pentium D processor 900 series work fine with 10.  So an Optiplex GX620 or Precision 380 or XPS 400 from 2006 will work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa9b0TkTsLM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMO1AE8QoNU

161 Posts

January 30th, 2020 06:00

I just lost another post because I was not logged in, what is this incessive need to log us out and how to stay logged in? !

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

January 30th, 2020 13:00

@User1190 wrote:

I just lost another post because I was not logged in, what is this incessive need to log us out and how to stay logged in? !

You're not the only one with this issue. Which error message did you get?

Better to log in first before starting a post. And the forum logs users out after a period of time to protect against spammer-bots and others doing mischief around here.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

Believe me they care, and have been hearing about this issue from me and others...

Yes, in the past, when you weren't logged in and clicked Post, it asked you to log in and then your post would appear in the thread.

Have you updated or changed browsers lately? You may need to make exceptions to allow dell.com to save cookies, history, web trackers, etc in the browser. Otherwise it may break this site.

Have you installed any ad-blockers? I know the free Ghostery blocker add-in for FF (and possibly with other browsers) breaks this site when you try to log in. You have to pause Ghostery, clear the FF cookies, history and reload the log-in page. But if you don't do that until after you've written a post and click Post, it will log you in with an error message and your post is still lost.

If you don't log in first, a work-around is to copy your post onto the Windows clipboard or paste it into Notepad, before clicking Post and then log in. If an error occurs, you can easily paste your post into the Reply box once you're logged in...

161 Posts

Good to know, and is what I thought.  Don't remember the error as it is not worth my time.  It was clearly something to do with not being logged in, but I thought at one time you would be brought back to the post you were writing after you were redirected to log in.  Very inconvenient to have to do this every time and will keep me away for sure.  I suppose Dell don't care about numbers at their forums so they don't care how much time it takes to log in.

Thanks, Max

No Events found!