Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 25th, 2021 05:00

G5090 blinking power light

Yesterday my G5 5090 Desktop froze and wouldn't respond to anything. My USB keyboard, mouse and headphones lost power. The display was still active, just stuck on the last frame displayed before the computer froze.

I shut down the computer by holding the power button, and when I tried to start it again, I heard it turn on, but it didn't do anything. The front blue LED was not on and there was no display. The power light was an amber colour, and it was blinking as follows:

7 times, followed by a pause, then 2 times and a pause, before repeating.

It may have been the 2 first, then a 7, I do not know which came first.

I've looked in the Dell manuals since but I couldn't find anything corresponding to a 7-2 or 2-7 amber blinking code. My main question is, what does this actually mean?

Further details are below:

When I would shut down the computer like before, it would restart itself a few seconds later to the same blinking as before,, so I turned off the switch for the wall socket it was plugged into. I decided to turn the switch back, and funnily enough, the computer started and booted into Windows.

The whole process of freezing, blinking, flipping the socket switch and starting up again happened 3 times between then and today, where now even after killing the power I can't escape the blinking lights.

TLDR: What does a blinking power LED following a pattern of 7 amber blinks, 2 amber blinks (or 2 and 7 as I have no way of knowing which came first) mean?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

March 25th, 2021 08:00

if the computer fails the POST, the computer emits a series of LED codes during the start-up.

freeze and 2-7 blink suggest possible memory failure. Try remove all ram, put only one back in DMM1, take POST.  test each ram this way individually.

Blinking Amber:
Boot Failure - The computer is receiving electrical power, and power supplied by the power supply is normal. A device might be malfunctioning or incorrectly installed. See the table below for Amber Blinking Pattern diagnostics suggestion and possible failures.

AMBER LED STATE WHITE LED STATE SYSTEM STATE DESCRIPTION
2 5 BIOS state 1 BIOS Post code (Old LED pattern 0001) Corrupt BIOS
2 6 BIOS state 2 BIOS Post code (Old LED pattern 0010) Processor configuration error or processor failure
2 7 BIOS state 3 BIOS Post code (Old LED pattern 0011) Memory failure
3 1 BIOS state 4 BIOS Post code (Old LED pattern 0100) PCI or video card or chip failure.
3 3 BIOS state 6 BIOS Post code (Old LED pattern 1000) No memory detected.
3 5 BIOS state 8 BIOS Post code (Old LED pattern 1010) Memory configuration error.
3 6 BIOS state 9 BIOS Post code (Old LED pattern 1011) BIOS recovery image not found.
3 7 BIOS state 10 BIOS Post code (Old LED pattern 1110) BIOS recovery image found but invalid.

7 Posts

December 9th, 2021 07:00

Thank you for listing the amber LED codes and description.

Wish I would have seen this before my Dell G 5 5090 ran out of warranty.

Tom

7 Posts

December 14th, 2021 16:00

I had the same problem with the 2 Blinking Amber Lights, pause, and 7 Blinking Amber lights indicating a memory failure from the attached list which I appreciate the list.

I had 2 8-GB memory cards installed in DIMM 1 and 2 (16 GB total).

I removed both and installed one at a time in DIMM 1 slot and found both memory cards worked well with improved pc performance with only one.

My Dell G5 5090 desktop seems to have a problem with both memory cards installed in DIMM 1 and 2 slots even though I have a medium graphics card installed being 490-BFJL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 166007i 6 GB GDDR6.

Maybe DDR4 SDRAM dual memory cards are not compatible with the GDDR6 graphics card.

My solution, doubtful whether correct, is to leave one of the memory cards out as it seems to work well without freezing and performance better.

Wish Dell techs could confirm as Bios diagnostics always says everything is OK although a few time the pc froze during the lengthy test (3 hours).

No Events found!