Start a Conversation

Unsolved

347 Posts

November 28th, 2019 04:00

Hard Drive

Hi, I haven't been in here for quite some time but I have a problem and hope someone can help me out.  I have a Dell Inspirion with Windows 10 and lately when I start up my computer there is always an error message saying something about a hard drive error or maybe it's not the hard drive and to hit F1 to continue or F2 to go to the Utilities.  Once I hit the F1 my computer starts up normally.  I tried a clean reinstall of windows 10 and it took almost all day but when it was finished and I start my computer that message still comes up.  The message is on a pure black screen.  I thought by doing a clean install it would take care of this.  Does anyone know how I can fix this so it doesn't show up or what it is?  I am not a computer savy so please let me know so I can understand it.  Thank you so much.

9 Legend

• 

12.3K Posts

November 28th, 2019 04:00

First of all what is the exact model of your system? And the exact wording of the error word help such as an error number or hard drive not found, etc. It could be that the hard drive is starting to fail but without the exact error it's hard to say. Also depending on the age of your system it could be that the CMOS battery (coin cell) needs to be replaced. Are you seeing any other problems such as the time and date needing to be reset?

347 Posts

November 28th, 2019 05:00

I'm not sure what version it is.  All I can see is Desktop-91DTQ91, ACPIx64-based PC intel(R)Core(TM).   I do know it's a Inspirion.  I have had it a few years.  The exact error message when I start my computer is:  NOTICE - Hard Drive Self monitoring.  System has reported that a parameter has exceeded it's normal operating range.  Dell recommends that you back up your data regularily.  A parameter out of range may or may not indicate a potential hard drive problem.  Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility.  All this is on a black screen when I first start my computer.  

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

November 28th, 2019 06:00

if the smart test fails the rust drive HDD is NO GOOD AT, all,  and no software on earth can fix it. end story

buy SSD and install w10.

Your BIOS page, shows , enable, smart test before boot, and this is failing the HDD,

that fails, as will ePSA test F12 and as will linux boot demo media, DISKTEST fails, and so well crystaldiskinfo.exe free. all 4 are free tests and all 4 will fail.

end story another BAD HDD. (most do 5 to 10 years old , used alot)

still no pC stated, just Inspiron.  2007 to 2018  , vast PC made with that name exist, even AIO, all in one.

• buy new SSD per your needs, (size)
  • if PC is not too old it has  at least w8 license on board, (bios stored0
  • get free w10 off MS dot com, load it, and the license auto actitvates
  • ends story.

OH by the way,  backup any data you have now, as that will be GONE with HDD final stroke of death. (as all do)

end RUST now.

your  HDD now has no more self error correcting(auto repair) sectors and like a cancer it is DOOMED.

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

November 28th, 2019 06:00

you could install w10, 10 times and it will fail.

never install w10 on any PC with HDD old , or waste huge time, even  full week ends wasted doing nothing.,

we test them first, first things first. and is like 1minute work , even your ePSA will tell you its bad, I BET.

here is what  crystal would show.

caution means bad, it means THERE WILL BE PROGRESSIVE DATA LOSS.

smart-failed

think of it as  bucket full of holes,  and useless for carrying water,  IT IS.

my guess is dells bios, looks at C6 and if not 0 fails.  that be super super easy to do .

Imagine HDD RAID arrays, and how important it is to monitor this, AND DOES.

347 Posts

November 28th, 2019 07:00

Wow, I guess it's time for a new computer.  Thanks.

No Events found!