Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

April 9th, 2018 12:00

Inspiron 20 3043 disk and bios problem that does not recognize total disaster

Hello, such a friend, I have an inpiron 20 3043 good computer, and then due to electrical failures and poor manipulation of my children because they disconnected a lot of the power adapter and lived it more off than on. one day I took it and e'wala! I said that there was no system boot device, of course it came out in English. I decided to remove the hard disk following the disassembly manual that is on the page, and take it to review they told me it was fried, that I did not read it in front of me and I did not read it, it did not turn on anything. I bought another hard drive same features by ebay. I get it installed and the machine does not recognize it! take it to try and this new disk if it works they wrote a file erased it is good disk.

the inspiron 20 does not recognize it look for manuals, and says to boot from usb to install a new system, download the dell Recovery OS tool, install a system on a usb, place the usb, do not recognize the usb or external optical drives, no recognizes the hard drive, does not leave the option of legacy boot that is needed to change. I think the bios never updated. and then I do not recognize anything external or the new hard drive! and neither for the service tag they gave me answers because they told me that support can not help me in my country!

and if there is any way to update the bios from the network. qe is the only option that shows .. I have bios A03. because I was reading and I think that we must first update to bios A05 because from A03 to A12 it does not let it update.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 10th, 2018 10:00

@JuanCGwrote:

I have an inpiron 20 3043 good computer,

1. and then due to electrical failures

2. and poor manipulation of my children because they disconnected a lot of the power adapter and lived it more off than on.

1. Get a good UPS, like an APC. No desktop I own or support goes without one.

2. a. Wire-Tie all cables so they can't be easily disconnected, and then ...

b. Explain to them that if they want to computer to work (for games, etc.) they can not play with the wires. Also, if they want it to be broken and not working ... go ahead and mess with the wires and just generally abuse it.

Even a 5 year-old can understand that. :Smile:

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 10th, 2018 10:00

Did you connect your bootable USB stick with the OS recovery tool on it before you powered the PC on?

And when you power on, immediately press F12 and look for boot options which should including booting from that USB.

Remember, the new drive has to be formatted during the OS installation...

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 10th, 2018 11:00

@Tesla1856wrote:

1. Get a good UPS, like an APC. No desktop I own or support goes without one.

2. a. Wire-Tie all cables so they can't be easily disconnected, and then ...

b. Explain to them that if they want to computer to work (for games, etc.) they can not play with the wires. Also, if they want it to be broken and not working ... go ahead and mess with the wires and just generally abuse it.

Even a 5 year-old can understand that. :Smile:

Does your 3043 tablet model have the optional 4-cell 19.50 Volt lithium ion inside? Assuming it has that battery and it's still charging, it should last a while even when not plugged into the power adapter.

And I wonder if the CR2032 3-volt coin cell battery that's inside, even if it doesn't have the other battery, died and that reset BIOS to the defaults so it doesn't recognize the hard drive...?

8 Posts

April 10th, 2018 12:00

the equipment is only used for research on the internet, no games, nothing that needs high performance work. the bios battery is already checked and has good voltage will be removed at least 30 minutes and will be placed to restart the bios, also does not appear new boot options. only the 2 of network the ipv4 and the ipv6, does not appear to select a USB, it does not recognize as a boot device any other peripheral connected by USB, and the hard disk is obviously new and it was found that another computer recognizes it and everything is perfect. the hard disk recognizes it because in the main screen of the bios it leaves the mark and the serial of the hard disk the model, but in the part of the boot menu it does not leave to select it. and then it does not leave the options of change to LEGACY BOOT, that's why I think it's because it has the A5 bios and it has to be updated. I suppose it is the bios, so please comment if you could update the bios through the network.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 10th, 2018 13:00

What version of Windows is running on this tablet?

If it's not working correctly, I would not  even try to update BIOS. That could brick the motherboard completely.

Is your USB device bootable? You won't find it on the F12 menu at boot unless the USB device is bootable.

Depending on the version of Windows you use on this system, you can find tools to create a bootable USB stick with the Windows ISO file directly from Microsoft, for free. Eg, for Windows 10. And it's likely to be more recent than other OS recovery tools.

Are you sure the new hard drive has the right specs for this system?  It uses a 2.5-inch SATA 3 Gbps hard drive (= SATA II). So If you bought a SATA 6 Gbps drive (= SATA III), make sure it's backwards compatible with SATA II.

Did you check to make sure the new hard drive is correctly connected to the interposer board?

The new hard drive won't be seen as a boot drive, until it's formatted and Windows is installed.

If you reboot and press F2 to open BIOS setup, how is SATA Mode (or SATA Operation) set? Unfortunately, the service manual doesn't show the BIOS screens so I can't see the options, or what the default settings are.

Maybe it's time to take it to a professional for repair?

8 Posts

April 11th, 2018 05:00

Well, I made two system recovery usb, one with windows 8 and another with windows 10, none appears in the boot menu in F12, the bios is in AHCI mode, no more options are available within the SATA option.

but as I am going to format the disk with a system if the options to start from USB do not appear.

and so to take it to a professional center, I already did, they blocked the BIOS that could not unlock it.

The hard disk uses the same specifications as the original that the machine brings. It's up to the same brand.

I use several tools to make a USB boot with an operating system, the wintousb, the dell recovery tool, and the rufus .. I do not know what other tool to pass the windows installation files for usb.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 11th, 2018 10:00

Did you follow the instructions at the Microsoft link I provided to create the bootable USB? 

Has anyone removed the 3-volt motherboard battery and pressed/held the power button for ~30 sec before reinstalling the (fresh) battery? That will reset BIOS to the default settings.

8 Posts

April 11th, 2018 11:00

Yes, I did a reset of the bios as you say, leave it an unconnected time too, and of course it restarts because the default date and time appear. and of course all the options default and no more boot options, only add a boot per command line but nothing more.

and of course I follow every step from the microsoft page

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 11th, 2018 11:00

Sorry, don't know what else to tell you at this point. I guess it's possible this tablet doesn't allow booting from USB...

8 Posts

April 11th, 2018 12:00

that's what I suppose. but in several issues I read that they update the bios and the legacy boot option comes out but I can not update without a system started. and since it does not let me boot from usb I have not been able to update, so ask also if you could do a bios update from LAN.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 11th, 2018 12:00

@JuanCGwrote:

1. since it does not let me boot from usb

2. if you could do a bios update from LAN.

1. I've never seen that on a working (non-malfunctioning) Dell in the past 10 years.

2. Not without an actual Server at your house ... so, NO.

8 Posts

April 12th, 2018 13:00

SOLVED! I did not notice that both the hard disk and the USB where the installation of windows 10 was installed must be in GTP, since the bios A5 only works in UEFI .. it is already installing everything normal! Thank you all for your opinions.!

17 Posts

March 19th, 2022 17:00

Greetings, please you can be more specific with the solution, since I have a DELL INSPIRON 20 3043 with the same problem, and I already have a couple of years waiting to fix, but they have not yet known how to solve it.

-------------

Saludos, pro favor puedes ser mas especifico con la solución, ya que poseo una DELL INSPIRON 20 3043 con el mismo problema, y ya tengo un par de años esperando arreglar, pero aun no me han sabido dar solución.

No Events found!