Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

September 3rd, 2018 21:00

Inspiron 22-3265, poor Dell experience

Hi! I bought a Dell Inspiron approx. 2 yrs ago for my children to use primarily for Rosetta Stone and also to type up documents on Microsoft word. The computer lasted only a year. Exactly when my warranty was ending it crashed. I was told the repair wasn't covered in my basic warranty. The problem was that when using Rosetta stone, the headphones had to be inserted in a usb port each time and it somehow got damaged. I was told the whole hard drive needed to be replaced. The repair cost was about the same amount I paid for the computer! I was sorely disappointed and feel ripped off. How can a computer be crafted so poorly it lasts only 1 year! I have had great Dell experiences before so I was completely shocked. What should I do? Should I just leave it be? Invest in another brand of computer? Or should I try to complain and see if something can be done?

17 Posts

September 4th, 2018 07:00

Sorry to hear about your experience. In a world of commoditized IT focused on the least common denominator and cost control, the end-user suffers (as do the support staff and all us other grunts). 

You got bad advice if you were told the entire hard drive needed replacement for a bad USB port. However, although it isn't difficult for a person with the right knowledge and tools to replace a USB port, it also isn't trivial.

I would recommend a local PC repair shop. They should be able to fix that cheaper than Dell would if you had to pay for shipping and the repair both (and the service you'll get can vary wildly depending on the tech that gets your PC - mine is at the Dell service center now and it's taking a while for them to get a part in...which shouldn't be the case for a MAJOR PC BUILDER). 

If you don't have a local repair shop, look for independent PC technicians that may be able to repair the PC at your residence or pick it up. If everything else is working fine except that USB port, then don't give up on the PC, it can still provide value for you.

One possible workaround for now: see if there is another USB port on the back of the PC you can use. Most PCs will have additional ports in the back; and if the headset cable is long enough and you don't really use the external speakers, then just leave the headset plugged in and don't keep removing it and putting it back in; that may reduce the wear and tear on the port. And also, do with you kids what I have done with mine: explain that the PC isn't a toy and that if they're more careful they can help keep it in good shape.

Good luck. 

2 Intern

• 

732 Posts

September 4th, 2018 09:00

It always amazes me when I hear about someone with a little problem considering selling/junking/returning their unit and buying another brand, it makes no sense whatsoever. I have had at least 10 Dells in the past and never even a glitch.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 4th, 2018 10:00

Once the purchased warranty period has expired, all Dell can offer is the out of warranty repair option.

It would be helpful to know which specific Inspiron desktop model and which specific USB port is broken? Yes, the constant insertion and removal of a USB device will weaken the USB socket. I am sure that the Inspiron desktop has other USB ports that you can use with the headphones. So, in my opinion, getting a new computer is not necessary.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 4th, 2018 12:00

When you switch to using a different USB port on the PC, you might consider connecting an inexpensive USB hub directly to that port on the PC, and then connect the headphones through the hub.

If you leave the USB plug on the hub connected to the PC all the time, you can just connect the headphones to the hub when they're needed. That will eliminate wear/tear on the PC itself.  

You can get a basic 4-port USB2 hub that connects to a single port on the PC for ~$10. Just don't connect multiple devices that need lots of power  at the same time, like printers, scanners, etc to a USB hub because they'll draw too much power. The hub will work fine for connecting things like your headphones, USB sticks, charging a phone.

And if one port on the hub breaks, you can always use one of the others on the same hub...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 4th, 2018 13:00

All good answers and recommendations. I hope you accept them with an open-mind. This is truly a "good cause" ... the kids using Rosetta Stone and all.

As @Sundowner67 says, USB Ports can be replaced. If not by a local shop, then a friend or family member that "knows computer hardware". Yes, the computer was "cheap" but maybe that's why you bought it in the first place?

As far as the durability and dependability of the USB-Ports ... they are all pretty much the same on all consumer-class makes and models. I am always very careful with mine.

@RoHe suggestion about the external USB-Hub is also good (especially with kids around). It might even be able to be plugged into the back (and just not use the front ports).

One final thing ... with a USB headset ... you should have been able to switch between it and the speakers by clicking the Speaker icon in the TaskBar. I don't have Rosetta Stone installed, but no plugging/un-plugging of the USB-Headset should have been required.

September 14th, 2018 22:00

Thank you for your comments and advice. I never thought about/didn't know I could just switch between speakers and not have to continually plug and unplug the headset. Thank you for sharing that!

Yes, the computer was cheap. It was the first computer I was buying that I'd let the children touch so I didn't want to invest in something more expensive. I just thought it would last longer.

Thank you so much for your advice. It was much appreciated. 

Thank you for commenting. I have an Inspiron 22 Model 3265 series. It's an all in one. There are 2 usb ports on the left side of the screen. At first it began shutting off when I inserted something into the first port. I called Dell and they explained how I could get it to start again. I was told to use the second port... Eventually that port had the same result. Then the computer just stopped turning on, even with the recommended methods. I sent it in to be repaired and was told it would cost about $250 to repair the hard drive. I believe I bought it for $290.

Thanks for commenting. I wish it was just a little problem. The computer doesn't turn on at all. I can't use it. If I was tech savvy I would know what to do, but unfortunately I'm clueless. My last Dell laptop lasted me over 10 years.

Thank You! That's great advice. I will keep that in mind when I can figure out what to do to get the computer running again.

2 Intern

• 

732 Posts

September 15th, 2018 11:00

It might be something simple, there must be a relative or friend that's a little geeky.
No Events found!