Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

8 Posts

November 12th, 2018 05:00

Inspiron 22-3265, won't boot with new SSD

Installed the new SSD. Used the Dell recovery image which worked fine. On first reboot after recovery, the system hangs at the Dell logo. Did a Win10 install using MS image, same thing. Put the old HD back in and everything is fine. Ran diagnostics, no issues. Any ideas on why this won't boot with the new SSD?

8 Posts

November 12th, 2018 06:00

Thanks I've tried that. I've tried all permutations of boot options. I put the SSD into another UEFI PC and it booted right up. Went straight into Windows and worked fine. Stuck it back in the dell and still hangs at the Dell logo.  Trying to clone the old drive to the new just to see if that changes anything. Done these swaps a lot and never seen anything like this.

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

November 12th, 2018 06:00

Try the following. In the BIOS AHCI set, Secure Boot disabled, UEFI boot. If the boot order shows Windows Boot Manager, set that first in the order.

More info in this post.

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron-Desktops/Inspiron-3455-upgrade-HDD-to-SSD/td-p/6055288/page/2

590 Posts

November 12th, 2018 07:00

Which SSD do you have?  I think there might be issues with certain ones...

8 Posts

November 12th, 2018 07:00

Samsung 860

8 Posts

November 12th, 2018 08:00

Just an update, the drive works fine in legacy mode. Installed Win 8.1 as a test using a non-UEFI installer and it worked just fine. No issues. As soon as I try to install in UEFI mode I get the same issue.

590 Posts

November 12th, 2018 12:00

I was just about to suggest going with Legacy, since users on the other thread mentioned by JOcean got a SSD to work that way.

My take on that thread is the UEFI code in the BIOS has some "quality issues". 

I'm curious if the machine was ever sold with a SSD as part of it's configuration?  It would also be interesting to confirm with Windows Disk Management that the original hard drive was actually formatted GPT.  Some BIOS use UEFI + Legacy mode.  Could it be that the original HD was formatted MBR and just happened to boot due to the + Legacy (meaning Dell never tested UEFI/GPT boot)?

Anyway, glad you got it working!

1 Message

March 29th, 2022 07:00

I have the same issue. The PC won't boot to any SSD or USB using UEFI. I tried every combination in the UEFI settings and nothing helped. It's really shameful that this poor quality firmware was written and never updated; the last BIOS update was from 2017. 

Apparently, if Dell makes a bad AMD-based computer they just abandon it and make pretend they never made it. It's easier than supporting their customers who purchased their bad mistake.

No Events found!