Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

March 21st, 2018 17:00

Inspiron 2350 AI0, Windows 10, BIOS A10 won't install

Downloaded the newest BIOS Update file (A10) for my Inspiron 2350 running Windows 10 with all current updates. The A10 update does not run. Will sometimes activate the Windows UAC, but after I answer Yes nothing happens. On subsequent tries the UAC won't appear either.

Have also tried running from Command Prompt - same thing, nothing happens. I have tried running this as Administrator.

Also tried running from Windows Safe Mode, and from Command Prompt on a bootable USB drive. Error message from this Command Prompt says that the file is incompatible with the version of Windows.

I have also looked for the BIOS Flash Update in the F12 Boot Menu - this option doesn't seem to be available.

What else can I try to get my BIOS updated?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 27th, 2018 08:00

What BIOS version are you currently running? You need to install them in order, oldest to newest.

4 Posts

March 28th, 2018 07:00

I'm running A09, which I successfully updated a few months ago with no issues. This A10 update just won't run, for some reason.

I looked at the file description and it says "Dell AIO Windows 8 BIOS/ME Flash Utility". It wouldn't be a version compatibility issue, would it? When I tried running it through the bootable recovery USB the error said it wasn't compatible with that version of Windows.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 28th, 2018 08:00

I don't see that "file description" on the Inspiron_2350_A10.EXE page? Disconnect all external drives before running a BIOS update.

This file format consists of a BIOS executable file. The Universal (Windows/MS DOS) format can be used to install from any Windows or MS DOS environment.

Run the BIOS update utility from Windows environment
1. Browse to the location where you downloaded the file and double-click the new file.
2. Press Yes to confirm the BIOS version you want to update and start BIOS Update process.
3. After BIOS update finished, press Yes and then system will restart to take effect

Run the BIOS update utility from DOS environment if Legacy Boot Mode (Non-Windows users)
1. Copy the downloaded file to a bootable DOS USB key.
2. Power on the system, then Press F12 key and Select "USB Storage Device" and Boot to DOS prompt.
3. Run the file by typing copied file name where the executable is located.
4. After BIOS update finished, press Yes and then system will restart to take effect

Run the BIOS update utility from DOS environment if UEFI Boot Mode (Non-Windows users)
1. Copy the downloaded file to a bootable DOS USB key.
2. Power on the system, then go to BIOS Setup by pressing F2 and go to "Boot > Boot Mode" Option
3. Change "UEFI" to "Legacy" Boot Mode
4. Go to "Exit > Save Changes and Reset" and then reboot system.
5. Press F12, then Select "USB Storage Device" and Boot to DOS prompt.
6. Run the file by typing copied file name where the executable is located.
7. After BIOS update finished, press Yes and then system will reboot to take effect
8. Go to BIOS Setup by pressing pressing F2 and go to "Boot > Boot Mode" to change Boot Mode from "Legacy" to "UEFI"
9. Go to "Boot > Secure Boot Control" to change Secure Boot from "Disabled" to "Enabled"
10. Go to "Exit > Save Changes and Reset" and then reboot system

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note 1: You will need to provide a bootable DOS USB key. This executable file does not create the DOS system files.
Note 2: Please make sure you suspend BitLocker encryption before updating BIOS on a BitLocker enabled system. If you don't enable BitLocker on your system you can ignore it.
Note 3: Do not turn off power or interrupt BIOS update process during flashing BIOS.

4 Posts

March 28th, 2018 09:00

I tried to be clear in my original post that I have tried all of the steps you just provided, including removing external hard drives. I repeated them again, just to be sure, and still no luck. Under Windows, the file causes UAC to run, and after answering "Yes" nothing appears to happen. When running in DOS from a bootable USB, I get an error message that the file is not compatible with the version of Windows.

The "file description" in my last reply is what shows up in the Windows file properties, not on the Dell download page.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 28th, 2018 11:00

In Windows, if you right clicked the file and chose "Run as administrator", and still no go, and based on your other troubleshooting, still no go, all you can do is await the next BIOS offering and see if it will install. Hopefully another 2350 owner can chime in with their A10 experience. If you were only installing this to address the trumped up Meltdown/Spectre thing, I would not worry about it. Understand that no "real world" exploits of these vulnerabilities have been reported to date. Researchers have only produced proof of concepts.

1 Message

March 30th, 2018 09:00

I have the same experience as the original poster.  I tried to update the BIOS with Dell SupportAssistant which failed.  Then I went to the Dell support/download page and manually downloaded and tried to run.  After answering Yes to the question about letting it update my system nothing.  I verified I am still on version A09.  I am running Windows 8.1.

4 Posts

March 30th, 2018 13:00

Yes, I have tried "Run as Administrator" as well. I guess I'll just wait until the next update. The previous one ran without any problems, so hopefully the next one will as well.

Not the complete outcome I was looking for, but seems it will have to do. Thanks for trying, Chris M.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 30th, 2018 18:00

You might want to try this...

1. Create a bootable USB stick with the BIOS A10 .exe file on it.
  2. Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup
  3. Copy down all current BIOS settings
  4. Look for and select the option to reset BIOS to its default settings and then save/exit
  5. Assuming it boots to the Windows desktop with the default BIOS settings, power off normally in Windows. If it doesn't boot, just press/hold the power button until PC shuts off.
  6. Disconnect all peripherals, except mouse, monitor and keyboard
  7. Plug USB stick into PC before powering on, preferably a USB2 port
  8. Boot PC and immediately press F12 and look for option to boot from USB
  9. Assuming it boots from USB, use a dir command to see what drive letter (if any) has been assigned to the USB stick
  10. Then, at the prompt, type in the exact name of the .exe file on the USB stick including the drive letter assigned to the USB, eg: a:2350BIOSA10.exe (your path and file name likely will be different)
  11. Press Enter to run the .exe
  12. When the flash update is complete the PC should boot itself normally. If you get any error messages, reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup. Make sure all BIOS settings match what you copied, or change to match and be sure to save the changes on exiting setup.

No promises...

5 Posts

May 9th, 2018 14:00

I'll chime in and say I am having the exact same experience.  It doesn't matter what I do, the A10 BIOS update does nothing/won't install.

By the looks of the description, this update may have the Intel security flaw fix - which **bleep** that it cannot be installed.  But, we also went this long being vulnerable; we just didn't know it.

Not a great system update/maintenance experience.

I'd love to know if ANY 2350 owner has been able to successfully update to A10.  This system is old enough now that I'd not be surprised if the update cycle has much, if any frequency after A10.

Argh,

C

1 Message

May 10th, 2018 01:00

The A10 Bios does not install no matter which install option I try. Dell should not be telling us that the Intel exploit is "trumped up" and there are no real world exploits using this. Please fix the Bios so that we can install it successfully.

2 Posts

July 1st, 2018 12:00

Months have passed and we still don't have a BIOS update for the Inspiron 2350. And what is even worse: We have no way to contact dell, just pseudo-experts giving useless recommendations in this forum.

I guess my next computer will be from another company. :No:

August 31st, 2018 08:00

I am having the exact same problem on my 2350 with A10 and now A11.  Click to install, it seems to start, but then nothing.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 31st, 2018 10:00

@VegasHeadRush wrote:

I am having the exact same problem on my 2350 with A10 and now A11.  Click to install, it seems to start, but then nothing.

How are you trying to install the update? Are you using SupportAssist to do it? If you're downloading and trying to run the update manually (eg, not with SupportAssist), are you doing it from inside Windows or after booting from a bootable USB stick with the update .exe file on it?

If A11 is out, you can skip A10, assuming A11 doesn't say on its support page that it requires A10 to be installed first.

I would avoid using SupportAssist to update BIOS and if you're updating from inside Windows, you have to be logged into an account that has Administrator privileges, and you may need to disable your antiviral/antimalware app(s) first. Just make sure those apps are re-enabled when the system reboots after the BIOS update.

1 Message

September 11th, 2018 11:00

I have also tried both methods.  From inside windows ( with Support Assist and from the download), and from the bootable flash drive.  When I type out the name of the BIOS utility followed by .exe at the end, I get a blank command line after my input and nothing happens.  I noticed that the BIOS updates stopped after I upgraded to Windows 10 a couple of years or so ago.  Last but not least, I did upgrade the hard drive to an SSD, not sure if that has any effect on the BIOS.  I did call Dell for help but they asked for 120 to help me or 240 to buy a year warranty, so any help will be super appreciated.   Furthermore, I don't know if this is related to the update or what, but I get a bunch of instances in which the computer does not read my key strikes or it delays them and inputs them all at once.  Has anyone experienced issues with typing?  

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 11th, 2018 16:00

@Aadvark123 wrote:

I have also tried both methods.  From inside windows ( with Support Assist and from the download), and from the bootable flash drive.  When I type out the name of the BIOS utility followed by .exe at the end, I get a blank command line after my input and nothing happens.  I noticed that the BIOS updates stopped after I upgraded to Windows 10 a couple of years or so ago.  Last but not least, I did upgrade the hard drive to an SSD, not sure if that has any effect on the BIOS.  I did call Dell for help but they asked for 120 to help me or 240 to buy a year warranty, so any help will be super appreciated.   Furthermore, I don't know if this is related to the update or what, but I get a bunch of instances in which the computer does not read my key strikes or it delays them and inputs them all at once.  Has anyone experienced issues with typing?  

Scanned thoroughly for malware recently?

Are the delayed keystrokes in all apps or in a specific app, like a browser? When typing lags open Task Manager and click the Processes tab. Look in CPU column to see what's using a lot of CPU time, other than System Idle Process. That might point you in the right direction...

No Events found!