Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 20th, 2018 18:00

Inspiron 24-5459, Touch cursor bouncing all over my screen; At Will!

I recently received a free Inspiron 24-5459 x 64 - based PC -- Operating off off Microsoft Windows 10.  This particular computer has touch screen capabilities.

The reason I got this Computer for free was because the former owner could not resolve the following issue:

The Mouse Pointer would have a tendency to randomly move to various parts of the screen, AT WILL.  Not only did the Computer move my mouse pointer, it would sometimes move it, randomly, to an icon on my desktop "and" select it.  So (All of a sudden), a new application would open out of the blue ----- (And cussing did not make the problem go away, either.....).

Being that this Dell Computer was new (Or hardly used), I did not think that there was anything all that wrong with the hardware.  

When I searched online I found there were other equally "unhappy" Dell Owners with the same problem: All solutions they suggested did not help.

Last night I was working on my Bible Study assignment (On this same Dell Computer)... 

All of a sudden: The mouse pointer was jumping all over the screen (Like a cat on a hot tin roof)! I could barely type in two consecutive words without being popped out of my application (Or having a new application open up.).

I promptly discontinued my Bible Study Assignment and made a bold decision: I am not to leave my desk (for any significant period of time) until I find an amicable solution ONCE AND FOR ALL! 

I proceeded to close every application and then, PATIENTLY, stared at the Desk Top.  The mouse pointer dropped to the lower left corner, then upper left, then upper center, etc.  There was also a little water mark that would temperarily appear first (Where ever the mouse pointer ended up going): It was as if a ghost was pushing on my touch-screen randomly (And moving my mouse pointer around as a joke.)...

My "amicable" solution became a reality shortly, thereafter: 

I really have no need for touch screen capabilities. So I disabled it:  All my problems disappeared immediately!

This Computer is running full tilt, now (And I am very happy)! No touch screen, but, like I said: This function does not matter (To me).

If anyone ever finds out if this problem was a hardware (Or software) issue; I would certainly be interested: But if things remained exactly as they are, right now, I would be content (For sure.).

Thanks.

Just like that: All symtoms were gone!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 21st, 2018 05:00

I would say the touch screen, hardware, is the problem.  Its sensing being touched even though its not.   

Since you have no need for touch screen capability, leave it as you have it configured and enjoy using the free PC.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 21st, 2018 10:00

You solved the issue by turning off the touchscreen, but have you scanned thoroughly  for malware?

No Events found!