Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

April 26th, 2018 08:00

Inspiron 3268, Radeon R7 450, no output to monitor after Dell logo

I got one of these for the bedroom system or for use by guests.  I read a review, a guy threw a nvidia 1030 low profile and it's good enough for use for a couple off mmo's he plays.  Dell didn't have any low profile 1030's order support said they're currently out of stock. 

So I settled for a R7 450. I got my 3268 last night popped another stick of 8 gig in (from dell's site, Visiontek) what a pain had to take the hard drive out to get to the memory slots also installed the video card.  This is a very cool little case very well designed. Installed the R7 too.

So I start it up, no beeps solid white power button i get the dell logo then no video output with the monitor plugged into the R7, I can see the hard drive activity light blinking away but the screen stays black, only one monitor plugged in.  The R7 has two dp ports on it no hdmi, fortunately I had a cable with hdmi on one end and displayport on the other end tried both ports on the R7 same result.  I went in to the bios there is a section for video card, onboard, other card, or AUTO.  The bios saw and correctly identified the video card. I selected the R7 as primary card, still black screen after the dell logo.   I tried plugging back to onboard (without removing the R7) still no monitor output besides the dell logo. 

In desperation I took the R7 out and plugged to onboard, presto now got output.  So what have i done wrong here?  Most modern systems with onboard automatically detect the presence of another card and prefer that one that isn't happening.  If the card was defective I don't think the bios wouldn't see it or i'd get beep codes and no start but that isn't happening.  I wondered if it might not be the right standard for the slot but since that guy said he put a 1030 in his I don't see that being the case either.

Only other thought going through my mind is that perhaps a BIOS upgrade might be needed.  One would think somebody would have updated it before it was sent but who knows.  I've never run into this in any other new machine any thoughts?  Maybe it just doesn't like Radeon?  Unfortunately my choice of brick and mortar is limited to best buy and they don't keep low profile or either bracket cards on the shelf here. 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 26th, 2018 10:00

Dell never sold/tested this model with an added video card. Check with the Radeon R7 450 manufacturer site to ascertain if the Inspiron 3268 180w PSU is enough. Most likely it is not meaning you will need to shop around for a 3rd party PSU. For my notes, send me via Private Message the service tag number.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 26th, 2018 12:00

@DELL-Chris Mwrote:

Dell never sold/tested this model with an added video card. Check with the Radeon R7 450 manufacturer site to ascertain if the Inspiron 3268 180w PSU is enough. Most likely it is not meaning you will need to shop around for a 3rd party PSU. For my notes, send me via Private Message the service tag number.

Good catch.

Yeah, I would be surprised if ANY dedicated video card worked with that. :Smile:

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 26th, 2018 12:00

@suemccartinwrote:

So I start it up, no beeps solid white power button i get the dell logo then no video output with the monitor plugged into the R7,

Usually means the monitor is not plugged into what Windows considers the Primary Video port.

Once you find it ... native DisplayPort to DisplayPort should work.

88 Posts

April 26th, 2018 13:00

I found a post, it may have even been a review for the machine, I will go look for it.  The guy said he put a 1030 in his...hoping he knows what he's talking about.  The bios sees the card and identifies it I would think I'd be getting no boot and beeps if it was drawing too much.  The r7 is an older card.  i'll do a bit of research the onboard certainly isn't going to be running any games on shared memory.  

88 Posts

April 26th, 2018 14:00

mentions card....mentions card....

Ok, still looking for that review not found it yet, however, Dells own description mentions discrete card but doesn't say which.  No mention of power supply size I admit that had not even entered my mind.  Yeah very small for sure so I suppose one may theorize that it's got enough power to display the initial dell graphic but when windows kicks on it's probably demanding more power??? Where might one find a larger psu for this guy?  Acck this may not work, don't want to send it back but if I can't get some better graphics in then it isn't going to work as I need it to.  Logically you would think that things would fail at post tests if the graphics card was sucking too much power.  Any site you go to suggests five hundred watts but we are not talking about a bunch of drives here.  I found the bios setting to make it the primary adapter, is there supposed to be a selection to save the settings changes not sure i got that option.  My nice curved samsung panel only has an hdmi plug on it, no dp plug so only way to plug it in is a cord with dp on one end and hdmi on the other end.

88 Posts

April 26th, 2018 21:00

I sent you that Chris-M

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 27th, 2018 05:00

Looks like the BIOS was for that Intel Meltdown/Spectre issue. Yes, I saw the sales "Product Details" image. But when you go to the Inspiron 3268 Customization, there are no 2GB Graphic Cards to add. So this has to be a sales site "Product Details" mistake. The Inspiron 3268 internal parts page does not list any Graphic Cards and for power, only shows 180w. Notice that the Inspiron 3268 Service Manual does not list instructions for adding a Graphic Card. Changing the BIOS- Video from Onboard to Other, then pressing F10 to Save and Exit should keep the setting.

88 Posts

April 27th, 2018 09:00

Ok well aack got to send it back for something else then.  I hope that you will discuss with someone fixing that add or you could have more unhappy customers. 

I see the little Alien is on sale probably if I return everything the price would be around the same and it appears to have a nvme m2 slot (those are the bees knees and we thought sata was fast a few years ago)  I guess I'm too used to building my own machines so I assume too much.  Thanks for the help.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 2nd, 2018 05:00

Most UEFI dells will not post or boot with NON DELL card because Secure Boot prevents this.  Doesn't matter if its NVIDIA or ATI or any other vendor.

The other ISSUE is that the 3268 is very very very low power low profile.

So a 40w nvidia GTX 1030 may be your ONLY option and only the low profile version. Gigabyte GV-N1030D4-2GL

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C3DWK1Z/

http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/inspiron-3268-desktop_service-manual_en-us.pdf

If you have class 3 bios there is no option to turn secure boot off because there is no CSM.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3156/

Note the Radeon Card used in the video below ONLY works in a 3650 because its 75W AND FULL HEIGHT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J81h1dHNwDk

Dell Inspiron i3650: http://amzn.to/2bqOFVO

AMD Radeon RX 460: http://amzn.to/2brhlgL

No Events found!