Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 22nd, 2018 06:00

Inspiron 3277/3477, very slow

I have bought 6 All in One's from Dell Just in October'18 to November'18. 3x Dell 3477 and 3x Dell 3277. Both of them are preinstalled with Windows 10 Home Single Language 64Bit and comes with 4GB of DDR4 Ram 2400MHz. The new PC's are running slower than my PC's which i own since 5 Years. They Lag, They Hang, They just freeze. Absolutely Worst Experience with Dell. I called up Dell to complaint that your Brand New PC's are not working at all as it should out of the Box and they are like you will have to take paid technical support which costs roughly 45$ per computer which is 270$ (6 of them) - for software support as the hardware isnt showing any issue after Hardware diagnostics. Absolutely disappointed and worried about my investment. They are reluctant to solve the issue even if its the brand new PC and under warranty. They say that software isnt covered so we will not be able to help you at all. I have tried to manually troubleshoot the issue by disabling services junk etc. but this is not a solution for a brand new PC having adequate computing power and ram to support it. It doesnt even work smoothly on no other softwares installed out of the box. Does any one have a permanent solution? Dell Team, is anyone here who can help?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 24th, 2018 07:00

For testing my memory theory.  Since you have several of the same type PC's and to save purchasing any memory to see if it improves operation.  Temporarily remove the 4GB RAM from one PC and install it as an additional 4GB of RAM in another and see if the extra memory improves operation.

If it does then the extra memory is on track.  If not, nothing has been lost ($$).

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 22nd, 2018 09:00

First thing I notice.  Your using 64 bit OS but only have 4GB of RAM.  That can be an issue and a possible bottleneck.  May not be all the problems but is one area that should be addressed.  I would say 8GB would be a better "basic" memory amount for those PC's. Many PC's, even entry level consumer PC's, are being sold with 8GB of RAM as the basic configuration. With only 4GB of RAM there is a lot of disc caching going on, and the disc I/O can slow down processing.  Upgrade the memory in one machine and see if that makes a difference.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2018 10:00

Here is the Crucial memory listing for the 3477.  Crucial is one brand that is guaranteed to work in a Dell.  Some other brands will and others won't. Can't say for sure about other brands as one brand may work OK in one PC and not work in another of the same model.  Reason we suggest Crucial for non-Dell branded memory.

Memory should be all the same, mixing brands can also cause problems (and this is all PC's not just Dell).  If you buy an 8GB kit from Crucial you can move the 4GB Dell module to one of your other PC's and have 8GB in it too.

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/inspiron-3477-aio

4 Posts

December 23rd, 2018 10:00

Hey Fireberd, Thanks for the suggestion. So can i buy a Laptop ram 4GB 2400MHz or a 8GB Stick as an upgrade? I will let you know once i have installed that to see if it solved the problem.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 23rd, 2018 16:00

You left out some key pieces of info:

1. Which CPU in each of these systems? Core i3 CPUs are going to be slow compared to Core i5 or Core i7.
  2. Do you only have Intel HD Graphics or do you have an add-in video card (NVidia or AMD) in each AIO (assuming it's offered in these AOIs)? If you have an add-in video card, go into Device Manager to disable Intel HD Graphics and see what happens.
  3. Are you running McAfee antiviral suite? It can cause performance issues. You might want to disable it and switch to Microsoft Windows Defender (free) to see if that helps.
  4. Did you go into the active Windows Power plan and adjust Advanced settings, like processor power management, video performance, WiFi performance, etc., etc?
  5. Did you didn't mention what specific apps are running slowly, or how you "measure" that.
  6. Did you check to make sure you have the latest drivers for each model, eg chipsets, video etc? Go to Dell's Support page and put in the Service Tag for each PC and let the site show you new drivers that may be available. 

And you might pick one system and do a clean install of Win 10 to see if that improves its performance. But image that HDD first with something like free Macrium Reflect.

4 Posts

December 24th, 2018 07:00

Below are the answers to your questions in bold :

1. Which CPU in each of these systems? Core i3 CPUs are going to be slow compared to Core i5 or Core i7. -I have both i5 and i3, i understand there will be difference in operation, but in general both of them are very slow and lag
  2. Do you only have Intel HD Graphics or do you have an add-in video card (NVidia or AMD) in each AIO (assuming it's offered in these AOIs)? If you have an add-in video card, go into Device Manager to disable Intel HD Graphics and see what happens. - its all basic, no additional card only the integrated graphics as i dont need to video edit or something of that sort
  3. Are you running McAfee antiviral suite? It can cause performance issues. You might want to disable it and switch to Microsoft Windows Defender (free) to see if that helps. -I saw it taking up both RAM and CPU in task manager so i uninstalled it, no luck here as well
  4. Did you go into the active Windows Power plan and adjust Advanced settings, like processor power management, video performance, WiFi performance, etc., etc? - i have currently set it to high performance, still no luck
  5. Did you didn't mention what specific apps are running slowly, or how you "measure" that. - i am talking about the basic microsoft windows experience, plus all pre installed app responses such as file explorer, Edge browser, cortana etc etc
  6. Did you check to make sure you have the latest drivers for each model, eg chipsets, video etc? Go to Dell's Support page and put in the Service Tag for each PC and let the site show you new drivers that may be available. - have updated everything using the Dell Update, Support Assist etc. - Nothing Helps

And you might pick one system and do a clean install of Win 10 to see if that improves its performance. But image that HDD first with something like free Macrium Reflect. - I restored the system to factory image once on my i3 and i5 both gave back no results.

Also i have additional tried below settings as i saw on the internet - 

1. Disable all non microsoft services from msconfig.

2. Disable all Startup programs.

3. Disable all Performance Settings from Advanced Device Settings, set it to Fastest performance instead of best appearance.

Basically i have tried all the things in the book except for upgrading a ram which i dont see fair as the PC is not running the stock windows that it comes with

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 24th, 2018 11:00

Fireberd has a good idea to borrow RAM from one of the other systems. If each system only has one RAM module, memory is running in single-channel mode and not in dual-channel mode which is much faster.

To run in dual-channel mode you need identical RAM modules in the same bank (sockets with matching color RAM retention clips on motherboard). So borrow RAM from the same model, which -presumably- should have an identical RAM module.

Keep in mind that 4 GB is low for even barebones Win 10. And since you don't have an add-in video card, onboard Intel HD Graphics is using some of that 4 GB, leaving less for the OS itself and your apps.

In order to completely remove McAfee, you need to run their MCPR tool. So google for it. Hope you registered McAfee on each PC before you uninstalled it, so you can get it back again, assuming you want it back.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 1st, 2019 08:00

Great.  My suggestion worked.

4 Posts

January 1st, 2019 08:00

Hey Thanks all. Increasing the RAM has just a bit solved my issue. the computer feels a little faster now

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 1st, 2019 17:00

:Yes: :Yes:

November 3rd, 2019 13:00

Thanks for this thread. I will by trying an upgrade on my new old stock Inspiron 3277.

No Events found!