Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

September 1st, 2018 14:00

Inspiron 3647, stuck in aptio setup utility

It started with trying to reset my PC because I made a mistake and deleted the Xbox software that supports Microsoft solitaire games. Reset would not work. I tried to use a USB recovery stick for PC reset. Reset would not work. When I tried to reboot to hard drive, I got this message: 'No boot device available, Sata 0: Installed, Sata 1: Installed, Strike F1 Key to retry boot, F2 to run setup utitity'. F1 did not reboot. Hit F2, opened Aptio setup utility. I reset to defaults (F9) then F10 to exit and restart. No boot again and the same 'no boot device...' message comes up. I am stuck in a loop. I tried unplugging the computer and holding power button to remove static, removed all usb devices ... still same message 'no boot device...'. I tried using a windows recover disk, still same message.

Can anyone help me? Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 2nd, 2018 11:00

If possible--Run the diagnostics (F12 at boot) to see if the hard drive has failed. Run the extended hard drive test instead of the quick test.

7 Posts

September 6th, 2018 14:00

Yes, thanks. I did run full diagnostics. Everything passes, no issues. I believe that somehow my hdd got unmounted from the computer so when I try to boot it says no boot device detected. When I try to boot to a recovery cd or usb I get a 'non-system disk or disk error' message. I went to the dell site to create a  Dell OS Recovery Image using my Win Vista PC. I can't create it because it requires Win Framework 4.6.2, and the max for vista is 4.6.1. Even though the Dell page says that 4.5.? is all that is needed to create it. I am really stumped: I have a computer that is physically fine, a HDD that is fine, but I can't get the computer to see the HDD. Any suggestions? Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 6th, 2018 17:00

Was Vista actually running on this PC or had it been updated to Win 8.1 or Win10..?

Look in BIOS setup to see if there's a SATA mode option. The online manual doesn't list the BIOS screens, so I can't say if it's there or not. Chances are it should be set to AHCI, if that's an option, not RAID AutoDetect/ATA, assuming that's another option.

Then look in BIOS setup for the Boot Sequence and make sure the boot HDD is first in the sequence. Save the changes -if any- before exiting setup and see if it boots now.

EDIT: If this PC is running Win 10, the Boot Sequence may need to have Windows Boot Manager as the selection, not to your HDD.

1 Message

December 30th, 2019 06:00

• Hey man I don't have dvd and usb what could I do

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 30th, 2019 07:00

With secure boot OFF you should be able to set SATA to AHCI and then use OEM System builder DVD to reinstall windows.

https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-64-bit-reinstall-recovery-disc-only-no-license-key-included/p/N82E16832350238

To disable Secure Boot
  1. Turn on or restart the system you're repairing.
  2. When the Dell logo appears, tap F2 on the keyboard several times to open the UEFI menu. Or, from Windows, hold the Shift key while selecting Restart. Go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options: UEFI Firmware Settings.
  3. Using the arrow keys, navigate to the Boot tab of the UEFI menu.
  4. Next select Secure Boot and press Enter, and then use the + or - key to change the status to Disabled and press Enter. If you are prompted to allow the changes, select Yes.

No Events found!