Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

February 20th, 2018 02:00

Inspiron 3650, Powering on but no video or USB power

Inspiron 3650 i7-6700,16mb,128GB SSD + 1TB 7200 Drives, AMD R9-360, 1707 Wireless Card. Windows 10. - Purchased December 2016

Powers on, fans run (on processor, on case, on video card), you can hear drive spin up, power button white as normal. and power supply green as normal. DVD-RW drive has power.

However No video signal (monitor goes into power save) and no power to USB ports (mouse does not light up, No lights on keyboard)

Think it has something to do with last Dell support update program ran an update ?? As machine crashed after this.

But so far tried.

Power supply test press button test all green .

Different monitor Same result.

Unplugging video card, trying onboard vga video same result.

Power off, unplug cable, pressing power button to remove any charge. Then holding button for 30 seconds. then plugged all back in. No good

Trying another power supply from another machine (luckily a friend has a Dell)Didn't think it was power supply but worth a go

Reset CMOS pins

Trying 1x stick of Ram, then the other alternating in slots.

Tried an alternative video card (again from a friends PC) still no joy

Checked over motherboard, can not see any damage or blown capacitors.

Disconnected wireless card

Disconnected everything apart from CPU and still no video signal or power to USB

Powered off , unplugged , took out internal CR2032, pressed power button for 30 sec's. Put everything back in

Still no joy.

Is there anything else I can try?

Absolutely gutted to be honest. Saved for ages for this machine for my son.

I'd be grateful for any replies or suggestions

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 20th, 2018 13:00

If you purchased an extended warranty, contact Dell Tech Support asap.

And you know the PSU you swapped in is compatible with this system?

If you remove all RAM and try to boot, do you get 2 beeps? If not, suspect a motherboard failure.

And if you purchased it with a credit card, check with that company to see if your card has extended warranty coverage for items purchased with the card. Some cards double the manufacturer's 1-year warranty and they may pay to fix/replace the PC during the first year after the manufacturer's warranty expired. :Wink:

2 Posts

February 21st, 2018 08:00

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately machine over 12 months old by 2 months so out of warranty.

Yes spare power supply tried from another working Dell OptiPlex so definitely not power supply

When press button to power on its orange for second then goes solid white (S0 state I believe) so just looks and sounds like powering on as normal

If I remove all RAM and power on there are no beeps. But there is no internal speaker on this machine.

If you reset CMOS and then reconnect power button displays orange until pressed then goes solid white.

Will look at credit card , don't think they do extended warranty option

Annoying!! 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 21st, 2018 10:00

Just because that other PSU is from a working Dell Optiplex, doesn't mean it's compatible with the Inspiron 3650.

Most modern PCs don't have an actual speaker inside, but they are still capable of giving beep codes. So if you don't get 2 beeps when all RAM is removed, then it's probably a motherboard issue.

Did you recently have a power blink or outage which might have damaged the PC? Some electric companies may cover repairs if it was their fault, if your credit card doesn't.

Only you can decide if and how much $ to put into fixing this PC. You can probably find a motherboard on the net or at Dell Spare Parts (1-800-357-3355) and replace it yourself, or contact Dell Out-Of-Warranty Repair for service.  Note that it will be difficult to install a non-Dell motherboard, or even one from a different Dell model in the 3650 case.

And obviously, I can't guarantee the (only) problem is the motherboard. :Wink:

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 21st, 2018 10:00

One more thingy...

Did you recently get a BIOS update from Dell? If you did, contact Tech Support ASAP because they may help you fix this problem, especially since you're only ~2 months out of warranty, and if this was caused by the update.

1 Message

May 1st, 2019 13:00

Hello Just wondering if you got this sorted? My son in law has exactly the same problem with the same model Dell which is now about 18 months old. I have tried all the things previously mentioned with no success and I am beginning to suspect a motherboard fault. Any thoughts would be gratefully received. Mike

1 Message

May 10th, 2020 19:00

I’m having the same issue with my dad’s desktop. In my case I have replaced the  memory, motherboard and power supply tried multiple monitors and cables. I don’t understand how it can still act that this after changing all of that. That is basically everything.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 11th, 2020 12:00

@JayKay76  @Mikebunting - Did either of you do a BIOS update right before this started?

Does PC actually boot to desktop but without USB support? Or does it just totally fail to boot?

If it boots without USB support, reboot and immediately start tapping F2 (or F12) and see if BIOS setup (or F12 menu) opens. If that works, it suggests a Windows software issue and you may need to repair or reinstall Windows, especially since JayKay76 replaced most of everything inside the case, already. CAVEAT: that assumes those replacement components work...

No Events found!