Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

August 19th, 2018 17:00

Inspiron 3650, Qualcomm 9565, WiFi issues

I've done some research on this and have seen there is a known issue with internet usage being non existant while wifi is connected to a network. 

This issue is going full force for me with it being at its worst today.  Can browse for 2 to 3 minutes as soon as it connects then nothing for long periods of time. Have a Qualcomm 9565 with drivers updated, bios updated as well earlier when I was able to use the net. I had read about some of the solutions to correct the problem but none seemed to work for me or couldn't do on my end.  

New NIC card or is there a way around this.  I've broswed these forums and others looking for solutions to no avail.  It's frustrating since I do my school work on this desktop and literally couldn't get anything done with it today

• 

17K Posts

August 20th, 2018 07:00

ibanez122,

Click the link below to watch the YouTube video and see if the information will help resolve the issue. This is not a Dell Video.

FIX: WiFi Keeps Disconnecting

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 20th, 2018 10:00

Can you connect the Ethernet port on the PC directly to your router using a cable, instead of using WiFi,  which is a separate plug-in card? At least that could be a work-around until you sort out your WiFi issues.

What version of Windows?

As for the WiFi, have you checked your Power plan settings? Open the Windows Power options screen and identify your active power plan. Follow the links to change that plan's settings to the Additional Options screen (may say "Advanced Options", depending on version of Windows).

On the Advanced screen change the WiFi Adapter Setting to Maximum Performance, disable Hibernation, disable Hybrid Sleep, and disable PCI Express Link State Management. Save the changes to the power plan and reboot.

Does that help?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 20th, 2018 12:00

If you have SmartByte pre-installed, you can try uninstalling it.

If you have Killer Control Center, you can try disabling Stream-Detect feature.

If a real ethernet-wire doesn't work, then you likely have some other problem.

Also, be sure your other WiFi-only devices (like most tablets) work perfectly with the router's WiFi (as it is currently configured).

6 Posts

@DELL-Jesse L wrote:

ibanez122,

Click the link below to watch the YouTube video and see if the information will help resolve the issue. This is not a Dell Video.

FIX: WiFi Keeps Disconnecting

No go on any of these. Only one I hadn't done was the reset of network device which I did and problem still lingers

6 Posts

@RoHe wrote:

Can you connect the Ethernet port on the PC directly to your router using a cable, instead of using WiFi,  which is a separate plug-in card? At least that could be a work-around until you sort out your WiFi issues.

What version of Windows?

As for the WiFi, have you checked your Power plan settings? Open the Windows Power options screen and identify your active power plan. Follow the links to change that plan's settings to the Additional Options screen (may say "Advanced Options", depending on version of Windows).

On the Advanced screen change the WiFi Adapter Setting to Maximum Performance, disable Hibernation, disable Hybrid Sleep, and disable PCI Express Link State Management. Save the changes to the power plan and reboot.

Does that help?

Had done these particular steps when I first started reading up on the issue.

For.your first questions..... the desktop is upstairs so running cable all the way down isn't idea given where the cable would have to run to... system is running Win 10 home edition as well.  I'm just about to punt it and install either a new nic card or pick up a wireless adapter. I've owned many Dell laptops and desktops since I was 17 (33 now) and have never had an issue like this with any of them.  

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 20th, 2018 13:00

@ibanez122 wrote:

I'm just about to punt it and install either a new nic card or pick up a wireless adapter. I've owned many Dell laptops and desktops since I was 17 (33 now) and have never had an issue like this with any of them.  

WiFi was easier to troubleshoot back when there was just WiFi-G (and not everyone [and their dog] was running their own routers/WiFi-AccessPoints/HotSpots).

In this new era ... most common problems I see are:
- Tricky/Complicated/Heavy Windows driver-suites (see above)
- Users and neighbors not setting their routers to "Good Neighbor WiFi Settings"
- Users obsessed with using their 5ghz Access-Point when actually, 2.4ghz is better for them (various reasons)
- WiFi cards inside machines using lame-design internal antennas (inside metal case or up-against metal case).

Right ... USB WiFi adapters are cheap and easy to install. I've been installing Netgear brand equipment lately with success. People like "easy" now-days, so sometimes this is the best solution for them. Problem gets fixed by just "starting over" with a new network-card. However, this will not optimally fix problem if it's really the router or the local wireless-environment (someone else's nearby router).

6 Posts

August 20th, 2018 14:00

Great points.  I've had this desktop for about 6 month now and connectivity was never an issue until this weekend... stays connected to network but wont send/receive data.  The computer shares a 43 in tv with an xbox one that has no issues with dropouts and online gaming for countless hours (downloaded SW battlefront 2 that was 64 gigs in a few hours).. my iPad and apple tv box have no issues as well so I know its desktop that's the problem. I'll have to go and look up about disabling smartbyte and the other one that was referenced and see if they're installed 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 20th, 2018 16:00

Scanned thoroughly for malware recently?

Did you try running the network troubleshooter on this PC, which is built into Win 10?

Did you reboot the router (and modem, if it's a separate box)?

Some routers can be switched to a different channel on the 2.4 GHz frequency, so maybe try switching all your devices to a different channel. My Netgear came pre-set to  channel 8 on 2.4 GHz, but all the other networks visible in my neighborhood were also on channel 8, meaning channel 8 was very crowded and WiFi speeds were poor. So I switched everything over to channel 11, which only has 1 other visible WiFi network around here. Check your router's manual to see if switching channels is possible and how to configure all your devices.

Can you move the router down next to the PC and hard wire them via Ethernet and still get WiFi signals on your other devices in other areas?

What about getting a compatible WiFI range extender and plugging that into a wall outlet closer to the PC? Or if you move the router next to the PC, plug in the range extender somewhere else close to where the other devices are used...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 20th, 2018 19:00

@ibanez122 wrote:

1. Great points.  I've had this desktop for about 6 month now and connectivity was never an issue until this weekend... stays connected to network but wont send/receive data.  

2. The computer shares a 43 in tv with an xbox one that has no issues with dropouts and online gaming for countless hours (downloaded SW battlefront 2 that was 64 gigs in a few hours).. my iPad and apple tv box have no issues as well so I know its desktop that's the problem.

3. I'll have to go and look up about disabling smartbyte and the other one that was referenced and see if they're installed 

1. Good to hear it used to work, but yeah ... things break (including software).

2. Sounds like your router/wifi and wireless-environment is satisfactory.

3. Sounds like a good plan at this point. Let us know.

6 Posts

August 22nd, 2018 14:00

Disabled smartbyte and still a not working the way it should.  Brought the desktop downstairs and plugged it direct into router and it worked just fine. Bought a wireless adapter off amazon to try out - disabled the qualcomm adapter and tried out the new one with it connecting to network but no send/receive going on

6 Posts

August 22nd, 2018 15:00

New info.... wireless adapter in comp works fine down here in living room - no issues at all.  Odd thing about all of this is that that desktop had been in the same spot up in my rec room since I had it with none of the issues... probably going to move router upstairs now.....

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 22nd, 2018 16:00

Have you played around with the PC's WiFi card driver settings in Device Manager? Maybe a recent driver update got installed with different settings? Be sure to copy down current settings before changing anything. On several occasions Windows Update installed a driver that didn't work very well with the WiFi card in my laptop and I had to play with those configuration settings.

What "link speed" are you getting between PC and router? That's the speed they're talking to each other over WiFi (not the speed the router connects to the internet)? Right-click the WiFi icon on the task bar and open that window. There should be a link on that new page which will show the link speed. Compare that to the rated link speed for the router and PC WiFi card, eg 150-300 Mbps, assuming they both support WiFi 802.11n. That might help you figure out where the bottleneck is.

Did you connect any new device on your network that's taking priority away from the PC, eg, using QoS (quality of service) to give priority to online gaming or to downloading video?

And there's always the possibility the WiFi card and/or the router is on its way out...

No Events found!