RoHe
6 Thallium

Re: Inspiron 3650 will not turn on after Dell Update

@OSDOZ wrote:

hello does anyone know if there is any workaround? to rollback this bios update! i got same problem, the pc just turn on but no display! Fans and power on, but there is only an orange solid blink then when i try to power off, it automatically turn on again with the same problem! please any help or someone who had solved this issue or what i have to do, i dont have any warranty on this dell inspiron 3650, could be the motherboard or also the processor?

Have you tried the BIOS Recovery options?

Depending on when the Dell warranty expired, your credit card company might cover repairs during the second year of PC ownership, if you bought the PC with that card. So check with the card company.

And look into Dell Out-Of-Warranty repairs if you don't want to buy a motherboard and replace it yourself.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alabama123
1 Copper

I am not sure where to post this suggestion but I figure this is a good place to start:

I am a computer repair shop in small town Alabama.  One of my customers brought me in a Dell Inspiron 3650 which after a Dell Support Assist recommended BIOS update would no longer start properly.  Here are the actual symptoms when I turned it on:

~  System starts but no video and after about 10-12 seconds begins a restart loop every 5 seconds.

After researching and trying everything out there I could find, reset cmos (pulled battery & moved jumper on motherboard), pulled RAM and tried individually (even tried new RAM), tested power supply and came up with the conclusion that the Dell BIOS update corrupted the BIOS & the motherboard probably needs to be replaced.  At this point I had nothing to lose so I tried one more thing that I never found on any forums I searched:

~  On the motherboard there are 3 jumpers, cmclr1 (cmos clear), pwclr1 (password clear) & meclr1 (me clear).  Since I had already tried the cmclr1 jumper to clear the cmos with no luck, I pulled the "meclr1" jumper and placed it on pins 2 & 3 (me disable), powered up the system & voila!  There is life back in the system again.

~  Sorry for the long story but before sending your PC back to Dell or to the recycle bin try the "meclr1" jumper and hopefully your system will come back to life again as well.

~  Best of luck to everyone dealing with this issue!

P.S.  Just a side note, the BIOS that caused all of this and is currently running in this system is 3.9.0 which is not even available through the Dell support website for download any longer (current BIOS available is 3.8.0) but somehow ended up on system due to Dell Support Assist update.  Probably going to try an earlier BIOS and reseat meclr1 jumper back to normal (pins 1 & 2) to see if it will work and advise customer not to update unless they notice an issue with their system.

Tags (2)
RoHe
6 Thallium

@Alabama123- Thanks but that MECLR1 fix has already been posted in several threads about Inspiron 3650 boot failures after updating BIOS to 3.9.0. Trouble is that we don't know if this fix even applies to any prior version(s) of BIOS that caused the boot failures reported in this old thread. And we have no way to know why 3.9.0 isn't listed on the Support page.

Best advice = uninstall SupportAssist so it won't force risky and/or unnecessary updates. :Wink:

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
OrigionalScott
1 Copper

Deleted....problem solved.

0 Kudos
OrigionalScott
1 Copper

I trust what you wrote in your reply to Alabama however if that fix isn't relevant why did it work? I am just curious to know as how he describes the system he was working on it is precisely what my own is doing and I have tried the other remedies he stated he tried initially before the solution that worked so I was going to give it a try before I shipped my tower off. 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
OrigionalScott
1 Copper

THIS TOTALLY WORKED THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have evidence I have to present to the court next month on this PC  YOU TOTALLY SAVED THE DAY NOT EVEN KIDDING. I am typing this to you from my desktop right now !! Superman_Action_976_Gary_Frank.pngAlabama123 to the rescue!!

I hope you get something wonderful in return ten fold over!!

THANK YOU  Alabama123  !! 

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Thallium

Because Alabama123 was working on a system with a specific recent release of  BIOS, v3.9.0. Others in this thread stated they had prior versions of BIOS. So unless/until somebody specifically tests and documents this fix with any other version, there's no way to know if it works with those earlier versions.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

Re: Inspiron 3650, will not turn on after Dell Update

BIOS 3.9.0 sppears to have been removed.

MECLR1 Jumper may need to be reset.

On the motherboard there are 3 jumpers, cmclr1 (cmos clear), pwclr1 (password clear) & meclr1 (me clear).

MECLR1.pngJumpers

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/inspiron-3650-desktop_Service-Manual_en-us.pdf

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
OrigionalScott
1 Copper

That makes sense. That version is what I have so that's  why the fix worked. At any rate I sure am grateful. Thanks for clarifying it. 

0 Kudos