Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

9 Posts

March 15th, 2019 20:00

Inspiron 3670, 3rd party GPU and PSU compatible?

Hi I'm currently looking to buy a new desktop to replace my 10 year old Inspiron. My only concern is that my graphics card and power supply that I installed in my old one can fit in the newer Inspiron desktops. My current PC has a GeForce GTX 970 and a EVGA 600 B1 power supply installed. If I did get a new Inspiron am I going to run into problems with instilling these? I'm also looking at the XPS 8930. I have the same question for that also with these two parts. Thank you

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 16th, 2019 03:00

Its never a good idea to reuse old parts on a new PC.  

9 Posts

March 16th, 2019 03:00

Well I bearly can afford this new PC so I'm not going to pay for a all new GPU also. That answer isn't really helpful at all. Also the GPU and power supply are only 3 years old.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 16th, 2019 04:00

The response was not intended to be a wise guy response.  Unless you are going after gaming or some specific application that requires the video card there is no need for one.  The Intel CPU video is very good.  I do not have a separate video card on my recording studio desktop and have not come across an application for recording studio or otherwise that would benefit from added video.  If I did need it I would buy a new video card, not use an older one (I have a couple as I do some PC repair).  Replacing the Dell power supply with another - new or used - can affect warranty.  A used power supply is never a good idea on a new PC.

9 Posts

March 16th, 2019 04:00

Well I am going after a gaming PC. Mainly final fantasy xiv. My current PC is running into cpu problems (getting to hot) since it's really old and out of date. Also my PC only have 4 GB of RAM. So I want to upgrade to a more updated model with a sightly better CPU and RAM.

9 Posts

March 16th, 2019 10:00

Well I appreciate the advice and I'm sorry my original reply to you. Just your first reply wasn't helpful and came off as like a smart **bleep** remark. I get it's not advice to put in older stuff in a newer computer but I'm kinda desperate at this point. I look into either buying a used one (even though I'm worried that a used one may not work) or try building a PC if that be cheaper. I just don't know where to begin building one or even looking for a used one. I just know my current PC isn't going to last much longer since my CPU is already being pushed to it limits. My temps are getting up above 90°C and windows keep running multiple wermgr.exe when I play ff14. It's starting to affect my ability to play bady

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 16th, 2019 10:00

I still would not reuse a power supply, even discounting any potential warranty problems.  The Dell support site is having problems and I can' research the motherboard power connections, but some new Dell's use an 8 pin instead of 24 pin connection for power.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 16th, 2019 11:00

There are some good deals around on refurbished Dell OptiPlex models that come off business lease.  Check Amazon.

Dell also sells refurbished PC's. Something else to consider.  Some of the "refurbs" are actually new/cancelled orders.  I even see 3670's in the list.

https://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?brandId=2202&c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&~ck=mn

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 17th, 2019 03:00

The Dell support site is up this morning.  As I suspected, the 3670 uses an 8 pin power connector instead of a 24 pin that is on standard ATX power supplies (Plus a standard 4 pin for CPU power).

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/19/inspiron-3670-desktop/inspiron_3670_servicemanual/system-board-components?guid=guid-00e92321-81fc-4c0b-970d-1da1c0170955&lang=en-us

No Events found!