Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 17th, 2018 18:00

Inspiron 3670, M.2 mount screw

Hi All,

I recently picked up one of the Inspiron 3670 from Costco.  I wanted to replace the boot drive from an HHD to an M.2, but I've run into a little problem.  The motherboard does not have a screw mount for the M.2.  It has a spacer screw that can be removed, but the space screw doesn't have the the ability to hold a screw down (see below image, attached to a quarter size cable holder as a stand).  I've tried support, but they are having a hard time understanding what I am trying find.  Does anyone know where I can order a mount and screw? 

Thanks,
Ben

Space ScrewSpace Screw

1 Rookie

• 

78 Posts

September 6th, 2018 11:00

Just get an M.2 screw from Amazon. I got three Inspiron 3670 PCs from Best Buy recently. They all had the standoff screw, but not the M.2 screw that screws into the standoff. So I ordered it from Amazon and now my Mushkin Pilot M.2 NVMe drives are secured properly in each Inspiron 3670 PC. This is the M.2 screw I ordered from Amazon. The M.2 screws worked great but the standoff that also came with it was not used.

Capture.JPG

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 17th, 2018 21:00

See the Service Manual.

For them to exclude a proper standoff / mount, it's almost like they are trying to control or discourage you from using this slot for upgrades.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 18th, 2018 06:00

Since the M2 stick does not have a round hole it may be that you put the device in the socket and then press down slightly then use the screw to hold it in via the half moon aka the shaft of the screw goes into the dent but the big head on top doesnt allow it to pop out.

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/inspiron-3670-desktop_service-manual_en-us.pdf

OptaneOptaneM2 SSDM2 SSD

July 18th, 2018 10:00

I was thinking about just using the spacer screw as well.  I tried it and it does work with the M.2 being recognized by the system.  My only concerns would be to the tension on the M.2 card and if the there's enough grip between the screw and the frame to keep it from popping out.

The other option I'm, thinking about is to *gently* drill a hole in the spacer screw and convert it into a mount screw.  My only concern would be that I would break the screw, depending on the metal.

And yeah, it's like Dell doesn't want you to update your system.  No extra SATA power cable, no M.2 mounting posts. 

Ben

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 18th, 2018 19:00

@BenjaminTodd wrote:

1. I tried it and it does work with the M.2 being recognized by the system.  

2. The other option I'm, thinking about is to *gently* drill a hole in the spacer screw and convert it into a mount screw.  My only concern would be that I would break the screw, depending on the metal.

1. Good. I was afraid it was going to be de-activated. :Crying:

2. They sell the real thing on Amazon.

732 Posts

July 31st, 2018 20:00

Do you know if the m.2 card needs to be run down or will it work in the 30* position unscrewed. (nobody seems to know)

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 1st, 2018 06:00

It cant sit at an angle and work it has to be down in order to lock the electrical contacts.  Sodimm's In laptops work the same way where they go in at an angle and then snap into place laying down.

732 Posts

August 2nd, 2018 07:00

It's plugged in and the area around the screw is just part of the board so how does it "lock the contacts" ?

6 Posts

August 12th, 2018 16:00

Dell is getting cheap again. They need to put a screw in the standoff when the computer is built. I installed an older style mSATA SSD drive in my XPS 8700 and there were no screws either on the motherboard or in the Samsung box. Luckily I have a jar full of tiny screws from discarded laptops and I found the right ones. Tiny screws of this type are almost impossible to find even if you know the correct dimensions.

732 Posts

August 12th, 2018 20:00

They are already locked. Locked how?

732 Posts

August 12th, 2018 20:00

Yea cheap, how much would it cost for  screw and look at all the trouble they put everyone through, not good marketing.

No Events found!