Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

August 11th, 2018 14:00

Inspiron 3670, can't create RAID array?

Just got my new Inspiron 3670 and want to do a RAID 0 with 2 SATA SSDs.  It is in RAID mode in the BIOS, but the 'Create' option is not there when I go to Device Configuration (after an F12).  Also, the 'Ctrl + I' is not present.  I've tried downgrading BIOS, upgrading BIOS, changing from AHCI to RAID repeatedly, disabling the M.2 slot.  Both drives are detected and show up in the BIOS and in the Device Configuration (which shows that it is the Intel RST xxxxx RAID Driver.   It has an i3-8100.  That isn't the problem is itIMG_5829.jpg

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 12th, 2018 11:00

Are you sure you want RAID0? If either SSD fails you will lose everything. RAID0 might make things faster with 2 HDD, but it's risky because of the potential to lose everything, and how much benefit will RAID0 actually give you with SSDs? You might want to consider RAID1 where everything on the boot SSD will be automatically backed up on the second SSD. So if one fails you still have all your files.

Don't you have to start over with a clean install of Windows to create a RAID array? That means you have to back up all your files on external media, wipe the current boot drive and start a clean install...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 12th, 2018 12:00

@doitjust4fun wrote:

Just got my new Inspiron 3670 and want to do a RAID 0 with 2 SATA SSDs.  It is in RAID mode in the BIOS, but the 'Create' option is not there when I go to Device Configuration (after an F12).  Also, the 'Ctrl + I' is not present.  I've tried downgrading BIOS, upgrading BIOS, changing from AHCI to RAID repeatedly, disabling the M.2 slot.  Both drives are detected and show up in the BIOS and in the Device Configuration (which shows that it is the Intel RST xxxxx RAID Driver.   It has an i3-8100.  That isn't the problem is it

Strange. Have you checked manual or Googled Intel-RAID setup?

I have 2 other thoughts ...
1. I'm surprised Intel-RAID is even offered on consumer-class model.
2. I bet M.2-2280/PCIe/NVMe-SSD would be faster. 256gb models are cheap. It will hold all Windows and programs. Put large games on one of those 2.5inch SATA-SSDs. This arrangement will be smoking-fast.

August 13th, 2018 16:00

1. Yes I'm sure I want RAID0.  I know it is not redundant.

2. I figure it is just something Dell has done to disable RAID so you have to buy an OptiPlex. Shame on you Dell.

3. Yes I know an NVMe is faster, but a 2TB NVMe is a little ridiculous.  However, 2 1TB SSDs in a RAID0 are much more affordable.

1 Rookie

• 

78 Posts

September 6th, 2018 13:00

@doitjust4fun wrote:

1. Yes I'm sure I want RAID0.  I know it is not redundant.

2. I figure it is just something Dell has done to disable RAID so you have to buy an OptiPlex. Shame on you Dell.

3. Yes I know an NVMe is faster, but a 2TB NVMe is a little ridiculous.  However, 2 1TB SSDs in a RAID0 are much more affordable.

But that RAID0 will still be much slower than an NVMe drive is capable of.

2 Intern

• 

732 Posts

September 8th, 2018 17:00

Does the 3670 have enough pcie lanes to fully use a NVME M.2 drive though?

1 Rookie

• 

78 Posts

September 11th, 2018 13:00

My NVMe drives read speeds don't go past 16Gb/s(2000MB/s). Even though they are capable of 19.7Gb/s(2470MB/s). So I assume that the pcie lane is in low power mode. Since CPUZ reports that it is an x4 lane.

I had read about this prior to my 3670 purchase. So it was the reason I did not get a more expensive NVMe drive. Since the 3670 wouldn't be able to take advantage of the speeds. But that is still almost four times faster than the SATA SSDs I have been using. And still results in only a several second boot time. 

So with how I use my three 3670 PCs, it is more than fast enough for me. I have one setup for use with my IP cameras running Blue Iris. I have another one setup as a Plex server for my UHD content. And a third is setup for a PC used daily.

And it makes the PC seem like a totally different machine than with the stock 7200 rpm drive. Just recently I was visiting my parents. And I didn't realize that my Dad had purchased my Mom a 3670 Dell earlier this year.(I knew it was a Dell but didn't realize it was the same model I recently got). But when I tried using her PC, I couldn't believe how slow it was with just the stock 1TB, 7200 rpm platter drive.

18 Posts

September 14th, 2018 08:00

The 3670 board uses the B360 chipset which doesn't support RAID.  It's not a BIOS issue.

Now interestingly, the 3470 small desktop is based on H370 according to the spec sheet.  But of course you can't stick 2 SSDs in that.

No Events found!