Highlighted
janet119
1 Nickel

Inspiron 3670, can't create recovery disk

Jump to solution

Brand new Inspiron 3670, 8 GB memory, 1TB hard drive, Windows 10 Tried to create recovery disk but keeps erroring out. Using SanDisk Cruzer Gluide elevate, 16GB. Formatted it to NTFS as I saw suggested someplace. Ran it and it errored out. There are some files on the drive but the weird thing is if I go to properties of that drive now, it shows the file system is a FAT32. I've seen a system file corruption can cause this, but I've only had this for 5 days. The only thing I've downloaded is MS Office Student/Home. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JOcean
5 Tungsten

Re: Can't create recovery disk

Jump to solution

Even though you formatted the USB in NTFS, the recovery drive procedure formats the drive in FAT 32. Let the recovery process format the drive (it will do it anyway). Try the following page suggestions. What is the error you see when the procedure fails?

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3016562/computers/when-you-cant-create-the-windows-10-recovery-drive...

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS Z170K i5 6600
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
0 Kudos
janet119
1 Nickel

Jump to solution
Says we can’t create recovery disk a problem occurred while creating the recovery disk. When it fails, the usb has the following folders: boot, efi and sources with files: bootmgr, bootmgr.efi and reagent. Each of the three folders have a few files in them for bcd or for Dell scripts in sources. I looked at the link and I had seen that link before. I didn’t check for system file corruption because I figured since it’s onlly 5 days old, that was unlikely.
0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

Try a different USB stick...?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
janet119
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

This was a new stick right out of the package. I’ve seen where some people had to use a larger size than what was actually suggested. This was the cheapest I could find maybe I got what I paid for. Any suggestions as to what I should buy?

0 Kudos
Plato1960
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

You can purchase a 32 gb usb 2.0 flash drive @ local walmart for like $12. 

When I first read ur post my first guess was the 16 gb may not be large enough. I created mine two months ago on a 32 gb drive. Took 2 hours but its done.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

That's what I meant. 16 GB could be too small for the recovery image. You need an 8 GB stick just to create a bootable Win 10 USB, without anything else that Dell may have added to their recovery image...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Re: Inspiron 3670, can't create recovery disk

Jump to solution

Sandisk can be faked so that although it says its a 16 gig drive to the system its actually a 1 gig or 2 gig or 4 gig device with firmware re written to show fake size.  If it seems too good to be true it probably is.

The other GOTCHA is that you must use USB 2.0 port to create and to install.   USB 3.1 ports will have "issues"

3670_PORTS.pngUSB 2.0 Ports are on the back

See here: http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/find-a-retailer

Cruzer Blade USB 2.0 Flash Drive by SanDisk:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Blade-Flash-SDCZ50/dp/B00652C690/

FAKESANDISK.jpegCounterfeit SANDISK

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
janet119
1 Nickel

Jump to solution
I ended up using a Memorex 32 gb flash drive. I used the port in the front which was a 3.1. Finished fine.
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos