Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

September 14th, 2018 13:00

Inspiron 3847, unable to boot

My Dell Inspiron 3847 desktop will not boot to Windows 8.1 Bootable Flash Drive.
What I've done so far:

1. Unplugged PC
2. Held the power button for 30 seconds.
3. Plugged in the PC and started the computer, did not boot to Windows
4. Restarted computer and tapped both F2 and F12 and Windows key and F2 and F12, computer is unresponsive. All I see is the "Dell" logo on the screen:

Other troubleshooting:
1. Checked power supply from back of tower, LED is green.
2.Tried keyboard in all USB ports, restarted the computer. Same result computer is unresponsive.

3. I removed and reinstalled the CMOS battery after 5 minutes. At restart it will give me an option to boot to Windows which does not work or go to the Bios. I'm not sure what I'm doing in the Bios yet. I'm still getting educated on that.

I tried starting the computer with the flash drive in every USB port on the computer and the same result every time.  The computer does NOT boot to Windows.  All I see is "Dell" on the screen.  Tapping F2, F12 with our without the Windows key does not matter.  In my 18 years of owning desktops I never seen a computer that could not boot to Windows from external source.

Any ideas on how I can boot to Windows and get passed the "Dell" logo? I'm all ears.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 15th, 2018 03:00

If all you are seeing is the Dell logo and F2/F12 does nothing then there is a hardware problem, not just it won't boot from a USB drive.

Since you reset the CMOS memory (BIOS) with the battery removal, that eliminates that as a problem.

It apparently is not even doing a "POST" (Power On Self Test).  The motherboard is primary suspect but you can't rule out the power supply even though it has a green light.  Sadly at this point the only way to tell is to replace components. 

No Events found!