Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 1st, 2018 18:00

Inspiron 531 will not update.

Hi,

Have a Dell Inspiron 531 which will not update. 

When I click for Windows Updates I get these pop-ups. They are a loop, restarting just restarts their pop-up cycle.

NO UPDATES 3.jpgNO UPDATES 4.jpg

Please advise.

Thanks.

2 Intern

• 

258 Posts

March 5th, 2018 08:00

Thanks, the Troubleshooter did it, there were complications in the Registry or something. Had a Troubleshooter already installed but it was probably pretty old and couldn't cope with the issues, the newly downloaded Troubleshooter did the business. Microsoft Updates now coming through, couple of 'fails' but the majority are downloading :)

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

March 5th, 2018 13:00

:Yes:  :Yes:

Please mark this thread as Answered - thank you.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 2nd, 2018 03:00

What Operating System?

However, that looks more like some type of malware.  Run a complete malware scan with Malwarebytes and also a complete antivirus scan with your up to date antivirus program as a start.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

BTW, we have a software forum section and this would have been more applicable posting in the software section.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

March 2nd, 2018 17:00

Unfortunately, we can't see the images you posted, only you can see them.

So perhaps you might want to describe what they show in your next post, eg what error message number do you get?

And always include version of Windows. There's a troubleshooter built into Windows that can diagnose and fix some, but not all, problems with Windows Update. So you should also run that troubleshooter.

If that doesn't fix the problem and depending on version of Windows, there are some other troubleshooters that you can download and run for free directly from Microsoft (don't get them from anywhere else!) that can also try to fix WU problems.

2 Intern

• 

258 Posts

March 3rd, 2018 10:00

Why can't you see my pictures please?

2 Intern

• 

258 Posts

March 3rd, 2018 10:00

Windows 7

Can you see these screenshots please?

No updatesNo updatesNo updatesNo updates

I run Avast and Malwarebytes, all negative for problems.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

March 3rd, 2018 14:00

We can't see your images because there's a bug and/or a permissions issue with Dell's new forum platform. So each user sees the images they posted, but only after logging in, and no one else can see their images, logged in or not. All we see are yellow image placeholders for each image you uploaded. Don't take it personally. :Wink:

If you post images on some other site, perhaps Tumblr, etc, and insert a link to the image on that site, we should be able to see it.

The forum administration is aware of the problem, but it may be a while before it gets fixed...

You should post -in words- what you see when you try to run Windows Update, so we can try to help you fix the problem.

2 Intern

• 

258 Posts

March 4th, 2018 06:00

Thanks,

I get the Microsoft red shield/white 'x' "check for upates" pop up. When I check for updates I get a smaller pop up which says the update service is unavailable. On the first pop up there is a link concerning updates followed by the word "null", the link doesn't take you anywhere. (I can't see any other posts in the thread now - only the last posted, so I can't see my screenshots as I write).

You were right, malware had crept onto that computer, it is seldom used because it holds 'archive' material I sometimes need to get back to. But it's online when it boots so things can sneak in, even though I run an antivirus. This was basically a browser-hijacker. I got rid of it and also cleaned out the system with 'CC Cleaner', the logs are now all clear, but still I get the red/white pop-up from Microsoft.

Maybe I should take this issue now to my antivirus provider?

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

March 4th, 2018 11:00

No antiviral app catches everything so complaining to that company won't help...

Run the Windows Update troubleshooter for your version of Windows to see if it can repair the damage. And read this for more guidance about fixing Windows Update issues.

(And I see all your previous posts in this thread, but only image placeholders and not the images.)

No Events found!