Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

August 11th, 2018 07:00

Inspiron 546, wifi network card

Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 546. It has to be hard wired for internet connection. My question is can I install a wifi network card and are there any recommended cards to use? My wife purchased a new desktop pc about 18 months 2 years later and this has a wifi card with 2 little aerials on the back, just wondered if I can do the same on mine.

Thank in advance for any replies.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 11th, 2018 12:00

Yes (well probably) but ... a real ethernet wire is better (faster and more reliable).

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 11th, 2018 18:00

A USB WiFi dongle will probably easiest. Look for one that supports your version of Windows and is compatible with your router. If your router is dual band and supports WiFi 802.11 ac, look for an ac dongle that supports your version of Windows.

If the router is the slower 802.11 n, you can use an n  USB dongle. Note that an ac dongle will be backwards compatible with an n router, but won't be able to use the max speed that ac is capable of.

An ac dongle will probably be somewhat more expensive than n dongle, but could give you upgradability, if you eventually get an ac router.

But as Tesla already said, you'll probably get better performance and more security using hardwired Ethernet.  

If you do go for a WiFi dongle, you can disable the Ethernet (network) device in Device Manager.

No Events found!