Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 16th, 2020 09:00

Inspiron 5490 AIO, HDMI-in port not working

Hi,

I tried to connect my SNES (Super Nintendo Entertainment System) Classic Mini to my computer as a screen, and I cannot make it work.

I plugged the SNES Mini to the HDMI-in (not HDMI-out, obviously), and powered it on.

Nothing happened so I checked on the net, and press that curious button that never did anything near the power button of the computer. Nothing happens neither, except it switches off the screen if I keep pushing the button a few seconds.

I checked online again, and found out this button is supposed to open a menu where I can select a different source, among other options? It never did that, even when I bought it (new) a few months ago.

So what is the problem? The Inspiron 5490 AIO has a useless HDMI-in port (which would be a shame, as it was the reason why I bought it in the first place, reasoning that the screen could still be useful when the specs of the computer will be outdated)? If not, what can I do?

Thanks.

3 Posts

March 22nd, 2020 01:00

The solution was to update my drivers.

(Even if I have now another problem, more technical, can't have sound from the HDMI-In source, but this will need to call Dell assistance.)

10 Elder

• 

43.8K Posts

March 16th, 2020 18:00

The setup guide for the 5490 AIO says the button on the bottom next to the power button is the LCD built-in self-test button. It doesn't say anything about using that button to select the HDMI input source. 

Did you try connecting the console to the PC and powering it on first, before powering the PC on?

Instead of holding that button for a few seconds, try press/release and wait a few secs to see if there's a response and if not, press/release and wait again to see if you can cycle through a set of options.

And if it's under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support. Have Service Tag handy...

3 Posts

March 18th, 2020 00:00

Hi, thank you for your answer.

I tried both solutions you suggested, to no avail.

If I understand correctly, it should not be obscure at all to make the HDMI-in work.

My computer being under warranty, the best course of action is to contact Dell Support indeed.

Have a nice day.

• 

25.2K Posts

March 18th, 2020 01:00

Hi,

I have replied to you via a private note.

DELL-Gautam M

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell

• 

25.2K Posts

March 23rd, 2020 22:00

Hello,

Were you able to update the driver?

- Jenniefer

• 

25.2K Posts

March 25th, 2020 23:00

Hello,

We haven't heard from you for a while.

In case you need any help, you can always drop us a message here. 

- Jenniefer

1 Message

May 3rd, 2020 22:00

I've plugged an HDMI cable from my Verizon FIOS set top box into the back of the 5490 and for the first few days I only saw a picture.  Then I called tech support and they remoted in and installed a bunch of drivers and I rebooted the set top box and then I got sound.  Next day now the flimsy button under the unit doesn't switch to HDMI input so it's not working at all.  Like someone else, if I press too long it just shuts down the computer.  I'm sure I'm not pressing the wrong button which is next to the power button but could it be designed any poorer as you need a tiny fingernail to depress it.  Buttom line, I bought this computer solely for this reason and I now can't use it.

Please help.

So I'm getting the feeling that so few people use this port that most Dell support staff are not familiar with how to trouble shoot it.

1 Message

July 18th, 2020 11:00

It seems a lot of people are having trouble just getting the small slightly indented button next to the power button to work.  I pre-connected the input to the HDMI-in port on the AIO, and then turned on all devices (my input is a camera with HDMI output).  It was difficult to get the button fully depressed, but pressing once brings up a HDMI mode indicator, and pressing again switches back to PC mode.  I can see my camera output nicely in HDMI mode. 

No Events found!