Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

February 18th, 2018 20:00

Inspiron 550no sound over hdmi

I have a Dell Inspiron 550 that originally came with Windows 7.  I purchased it used and just installed Windows 10 on it.  Don't know if there was in Windows 7, but in Windows 10 using HDMI to my TV there is no sound.  When I check the playback devices (right click on the sound icon and select "Playback Devices") HDMI shows as one of the options however it has a downward facing red arrow and if I click on it the "Set Default" box never changes from grayed out so I can't click it.

Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Also - this uses an AMD Athlon 7750 cpu.  Is there any upgrade path for the cpu?

Thanks!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 21st, 2018 10:00

I do not see an Inspiron 550? Are you sure that is the correct model? Is this a Desktop or Laptop?

February 21st, 2018 13:00

I don't know if you resolved your problem, but it sounds like you may have to update your driver. Go into the device manager, and look for anything related to sound. Open it's properties and click update driver. It will tell you if you have the latest or find it. If so let it do the update. One other question, did you try more then one HDMI cable?

No Events found!