Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

May 22nd, 2018 16:00

Inspiron 5675, screw specs and where to buy them?

Was disappointed to find I have to buy screws to install pcie SSD and 3.5" drive. I found the screws in the manual, and called Dell to order them, but can't have them for more than 2 weeks.

So I'll buy them locally or Amazon or whatever, but want to make sure I get the right ones.

From the manual: "M3x3.5" and "M2x3.5." Does that mean any "M2" or "M3" screws will work, and the 3.5 refers to length in millimeters? Any suggestions of where to get them fast and relatively cheap?

May 23rd, 2018 15:00

As Ron stated the Homedepot does have the m2 and m3 screws but they are longer that your spec,s you could cut the down but the threads would have to be worked on as cutting them will damage the starting thread. They come in small bags for less than $3 each.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2018 15:00

Those should be standard metric screw sizes. You can probably find them at a local PC shop or maybe even at places like Home Depot, etc

You probably want flat head screws of those sizes.

You might take one of them out of the existing drive mount and bring it with you to the store to compare...

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 24th, 2018 09:00

Most ACE Hardware stores have individual screws, metric and SAE.  If there is one near you, go there first.

19 Posts

May 25th, 2018 15:00

As mentioned, Home Depot has them, but not at the right size. Can't find 3.5mm M2 and M3 screws on Amazon or at Frys.com either.

Anyone know where to get 3.5mm M2 and M3 screws, besides Dell (which will take 2 weeks)? Mail order is fine, but hopefully I won't have to spend $10 on a few screws...

Is anyone sure that 3.5mm M2 and M3 screws even exist? I can't find them via Google search...

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 25th, 2018 17:00

I'd check local PC shops. That might be the fastest place to get a few of each size and they'll know exactly what you need if you give them the sizes.

19 Posts

May 25th, 2018 19:00

Manual for my Inspiron 5675 specifies 3.5 mm M2 and M3 screws for PCIe and SATA hard drive slots I'm adding drives to ("M3x3.5, M2x3.5"). But the computer doesn't come with screws, and Dell said it would take 2 weeks to order the parts. I've checked at Fry's, Home Depot, and Amazon, and also done a Google search, and can't find 3.5 mm M2 & M3 screws. If I use 3 mm screws, could that cause any problems? Anyone know where to get the screws I'm looking for? Does Dell normally not include screws for open slots?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 26th, 2018 07:00

Does Dell normally not include screws for open slots?
* Correct. We do not.

M3x3.5mm
M2x3.5mm

88 Posts

September 7th, 2018 12:00

Amazon.com has quite a few variety boxes of these screws but only a couple have the 3.5mm size in the box, it's like five-10 bucks depending upon the variety box you get.  Yeah I agree it  to sell a machine with a weird size tiny screw for the m2 drive and you don't even get one or two in the goody box for the machine.  At least put one in the screw hole! Fortunately i had an external drive box that included extra screws and they happened to fit properly, I was so mad when I got the drive & found it didn't include screws and there wasn't one on the board either. Fortunately I'm a bit of a pack rat when it comes to extra screws they all live in a box or pill bottles for that day I need one.  I have an ace hardware nearby but this is a unusual one they don't carry.

1 Rookie

• 

55 Posts

January 2nd, 2019 16:00

Out of curiosity, did you check the inside of the case’s removable panel? After scanning the innards of my new Inspiron 5680 and finding nothing, I was surprised to find 13 screws around the edges of the panel, each labeled “M3.” Since there are also numbered pictures of a 2.5” and 3.5” drive etched into the metal, I assume these must be drive-mounting screws (otherwise, why would they be labeled?). Given that the 5675 and 5680 are so similar, perhaps it has the screws there, too.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

January 3rd, 2019 13:00

19 Posts

January 3rd, 2019 13:00

@zapt: I hadn't looked there, but just did, and sure enough there are three screws labeled "M3," though at first glance I thought they were screws in use to hold the case panel together. 

Wish I had known about this before! I asked here and at Reddit, no one seemed to know about this, thanks for weighing in. 

19 Posts

January 3rd, 2019 14:00

Thanks for the reply, but see the lasts couple posts: the 5675 comes with screws after all. (I realize that the page breaks right after the recent posts...)

7 Posts

January 4th, 2019 15:00

I had the same problem installing a 2.5" hard drive in my 3670.  Stopped in a hole in the wall computer repair place on the way into town - very nice man pulled out a drawer, bagged up 4 and gave them to me free of charge.  Ask for laptop hard drive screws.  Best bet - bring the drive with you and test them.

1 Message

November 29th, 2019 01:00

"Does Dell normally not include screws for open slots?
* Correct. We do not."

Thanks for the clear information. Please tell Dell that this is completely unacceptable. It's way too much time and trouble to putz around the internet looking for a thread like this, probably for most people *after* having pulled the PC out and opened it up,  and then having to track down the right screws, possibly waiting for them to be shipped. It can't possibly be worth the business that Dell has been and is losing by going against what appears to be standard. (Motherboards, not SSD's, come with the screws, and Dell should follow suit with prebuilt PCs.) If they want people to buy their SSD's from Dell, then they might consider installing Windows on the SSD instead of the hard drive. I was told that would not be possible. And to be clear, it seems that the side panel does not have the correct screws for an M.2 SSD. At least mine doesn't seem to. It's a 5676. It seems that all the screws on the side panel are M3, but that the M.2 SSD is what needs the M2 screw. (The OP also mentioned--bah, can't see the thread while replying--I think it was a 3.5" drive. I guess that is what uses the M3 screws.)

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 29th, 2019 04:00

No Events found!