Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

June 1st, 2018 19:00

Inspiron 5675, two, both freeze randomly

I recently bought 2 new Dell Inspiron 5675.  Both freeze up about once an hour and have to be rebooted.  On one of the desktops, I've updated the bios, reinstalled windows, and run the SupportAssist multiple times (which took some time as I had to restart several times due to the computer freezing).  There doesn't seem to be a pattern or dependence on anything I'm running.  Also, if I leave the computer for awhile and come back the screen is blank and I have to reboot to get the computer to respond (but the blue dell led light stays on) - I've turned the power plan to never sleep, but this still happens. It seems a number of people have had this problem - is there any resolution short of returning it? I did see one person had success in moving from a HDD to a SSD, so perhaps this is a hard drive issue. In my case, I have two new machines both behaving the same, so that's a bit disturbing in terms of this model.

Thanks for help.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

June 5th, 2018 11:00

Thank you for your message. I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

When the system freezes, do you get any error message or does it just freeze up & the only way to recover is to hard restart the system?

Have there been any recent Windows updates that were done?

What is the version of BIOS installed?

Please run a hardware diagnostics by following the video on this link http://bit.ly/2fJuGXB & check if there is an error.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 5th, 2018 17:00

Have you tried adjusting some of the other power settings?

In Device Manager, expand list under USB and double-click a root hub. Click its Power Management tab and uncheck the box "Allow PC to turn off...". Repeat for all USB root hubs. Then repeat for all Human Interface Devices (HID) listed in Device Manager that have a Power Management tab.

Open the Window Power options screen. Select your currently active power plan and go to additional settings. Disable Hibernation, disable Hybrid Sleep, disable USB Selective Suspend and disable PCI Link State Management. Save the changes to the power plan if prompted.

Reboot and immediately  press F2 to open BIOS setup. Look for a USB Wake Support option (or similar name). Make sure it's Enabled.  NOTE: I don't know if you will find that option in BIOS because the online manuals don't list the BIOS options for this model. Don't change anything else in BIOS setup, but save the change to USB Wake, if any.

See if that helps...

3 Posts

June 13th, 2018 22:00

Its been more than a month in tech support. They reinstalled windows 4 times. Made me reinstall all my apps and software all over for 4 times. They reinstalled bios updated bios also 4 times. They sent me a box and I sent them the desktop to replace the graphic card. They replaced the graphic card and still it has not been fixed. This computer is brand new and it has frozen since the first week of use. I didn't ask to replace because i thought tech team could fix. Tech team attempted many times and now its past 30 days since i bought and am stuck with a broken computer. I payed full price for a broken computer. They don't know what to do and is still in service. The computer just freezes in the middle of whatever you are doing and does not respond. Only thing you can do is press and hold power button to shut down and turn on again although all your work is lost. Also if i leave the computer on and not active it will go on sleep mode but some times it does not wake up from sleep. We tried everything and the conclusion is that dell has some serious issues and has been a great waste of time dealing with tech team every week. They can not deliver a normal functioning computer. I am frustrated and stuck with a broken computer which they shipped broken. Even after 30 days from sale if the computer that they ship is broken and i missed some days because we tried to fix with tech support and I trusted tech support so I didn't ask for an exchange now they can not exchange and they left me hanging here with their team ... Really disappointing company.. 

3 Posts

These tech support dudes all say update bios what version it is and they advise to change some settings. They are just pushing the day till its past 30 and you can't refund anymore. As its has been clear by now that these bios updates which are not even updates because the bios is the updated one already and these setting changes do not fix the computer at all. They don't even know how to fix this issue. But they know how to keep you on the tech team loop so you go past 30 days and then you are stuck with junk. They made me update reinstall every time i talked to a technician. After 1 month of doing the same thing they replace graphic card and yet not fixed.

3 Posts

I have the same computer and same issues. I thought tech team could fix and have been dealing with them. Which led to me missing the 30 day mark to refund. Now I am stuck with a broke pc. They replaced the graphic card but did nothing. Good luck. Next pc must be chosen wisely 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 14th, 2018 10:00

Please don't double-post your same issue. I gave you a recommendation in that other thread. And always include exact PC model number when you start a new thread.

Did you do all the things I suggested on ‎06-05-2018 to the OP in that other thread?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 14th, 2018 10:00

There's always Dell Unresolved Issues.

Include the support ticket number you got when you contacted Tech Support.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 14th, 2018 12:00

I suggest you Nuke-and-Pave it (clean install Windows from scratch). That will remove all the pre-installed Dell apps and "heavy" driver-suites ... all at once.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/M-2-NVMe-bootable-options/td-p/6073037

Of course, first said machine has to pass ePSA Diagnostics first.

In the other "Inspiron 5675 unstable crashing" threads, that seemed to take care of it. I might be able to find those old-threads if you can't.

2 Posts

July 8th, 2018 09:00

How did you solve this issue? Having the same issue. Pretty bothering. Initially, it is just occasionally, but now, it happens more often.

25 Posts

July 9th, 2018 23:00

I bought mine last year and had similar issues.  The hard drive already failed on it, but thankfully it is under warranty.  

This pc definitely had lag issues for me too, especially when it was under load.  I do think it roots somehow back to the usb ports.  For me whenever I had my wireless mouse and keyboard in the front ports it lagged horribly.  I moved my pc down to a desk for my business and switched to wired devices since I'm close to the pc now and no longer have the problem. 

I don't know if that's the issue, but not using those front usb ports really helped me. It may indeed have something to do with the usb and/or power settings. 

The pc otherwise has been great honestly.  It was very cheap compared to what I could have bought the components for.  I just wish Dell wouldn't cripple the Ryzen with 2400mhz DDR4.  It's still a really fast pc though and crushes every game I've tried. I switched the RX570 out for a GTX1080 I got cheap and it's a monster now. 

17 Posts

August 24th, 2018 12:00

I'm having this issue too with mine. It would freeze every few seconds, then I'd get control back, and then it would freeze again. Sometimes the freezes were accompanied by the screen going black for a second.

My pc is currently at the Dell service center where it is in "awaiting parts" status. I hope they can fix it. We aren't the first people this has happened to, but a definitive explanation about what's wrong and what the solution approach is has been elusive and I can't seem to find an answer. I wish I could know what the cause is because then I could either handle it myself or make my interactions with Dell support more efficient.

I've seen now two or three posts in these forums like @beastykato's where it appears to be related to the RX560/570/580 video card. But I don't understand why. There are hundreds of these systems out there and lots of good reviews. In the moments when my PC wasn't frozen I could tell this is a fast PC and I'm looking forward to using it.

I'll be sure to post a complete story when this is all over, if I end up keeping the PC. Thanks for posting your info.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 24th, 2018 17:00

@Sundowner67 wrote:

I'm having this issue too with mine.

...it appears to be related to the RX560/570/580 video card.

There are hundreds of these systems out there

More like tens-of-thousands. :Smile:

See my post above for the fix. It's nothing a clean install of Windows (with simple/lean drivers) ... and possibly some Firmware Updates ... would not fix.

Yes, good luck and let us know how it turns-out.

17 Posts

August 27th, 2018 06:00

Yes, tens of thousands!

Thanks for the post, if when this thing gets back to me it's still doing it I'll try the nuke and pave. The service center doesn't do a good job answering the phone so I couldn't get more details from them directly. Instead I went to the Dell facebook support and they were able to tell me the part that's been ordered. It's MNFC8, which is the Ryzen 7 chip. I was surprised because I didn't think that was the faulty part, but I trust their diagnostic tools are better than mine.

1 Message

August 27th, 2018 10:00

Not anything at the time the computer froze, all it shows is the error that "The system has shutdown unexpectedly" Error 41, but that's because of me hard booting the computer.

1 Message

September 7th, 2018 08:00

I have dealt with several of these towers and their issues.  If you pull out the Radeon RX XXX video card and plug your monitor into the integrated HDMI port the locks up and restarts will end.  Switching to an Nvidia card also seems to solve the problem.  The extensions on the motherboard cable and processor power cable can be problematic also.  Bad design - use a power supply which has long enough cables to begin with. An EVGA 450BT bronze power supply swaps in and works well.  Fits perfect and all cables are long enough to use without extension cables.  Reformatting and reinstalling windows does nothing to solve the problems in my experience with the 5675.

No Events found!