Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

5 Posts

November 4th, 2019 17:00

Inspiron 5676, AMD Radeon RX 580, crashing black screen

Hi

I have a one week old Inspiron 5676 that comes with the AMD Radeon RX 580 graphics cards.  Windows 10 has been installed by Dell and so far all I have done is install my apps etc from the old Dell machine.

The machine is working fine until I place any load onto the graphics card via games such as Minecraft, Rainbow Six and Counter Strike at which point the Inspiron 5676 will black screen of death after about 5 minutes. All these games worked correctly on the old dell with a 1GB graphics card so they should be okay with the new machine.

So far I have tried the following;

• Updated all drivers
  • Updated Windows 10 
  •  Installed full AMD Radeon Settings software
  • Tried adjusting global settings in the AMD Radeon App to minimum settings
  •  Checked the graphics card was seated well on the motherboard

Using the Dell SupportAssist app, the graphics card does not show as having any errors however as soon as I try doing the "stress test" option within SupportAssist the machine crashes. It fails at roughly the same spot each time I do a test, "Transformation and Lighting Stress Test … 42% with GPU Usage at 92% and GPU Temp at 77°C".

Any thoughts what else I can try?

4 Operator

• 

159 Posts

November 4th, 2019 18:00

Hi,

Thank you for posting and for sending the service tag information via private message. We have opened a case and will be responding to you privately.

5 Posts

November 4th, 2019 21:00

Can anyone recommend a "stress test" or graphics card testing applications that would provide evidence that the issue is not relate to games but rather the hardware? So far I have used;

• Dell's SupportAssist
  • FurMark

Both of quick cause the machine to crash.

5 Posts

November 10th, 2019 13:00

Just an update for future readers.

Dell are going to swap the card to see if that fixes the issue. Since the last post I did a full restore and only installed windows and Dell updates with no change so at least it is not a software issue. 

5 Posts

November 13th, 2019 16:00

Dell have done a great job and came out to swap the graphics cards. It appears to have fixed the issues but will check more over the weekend.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 13th, 2019 17:00

World of warcraft is a good stress test. The base game is free up to level 20.

Games are the GPU stress test.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/start

5 Posts

November 17th, 2019 14:00

Thank you speedstep.

Now that the graphic card has been replace the machine works perfectly  

No Events found!