Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 20th, 2019 02:00

Inspiron 5676, noises

Hi, Had my refurb Inspiron 5676 desktop for about a week now. Everything works fine, except for 2 noises that can be heard at random times. The noises don't last more than 0.5 seconds. It's an AMD Ryzen 7 2700X with RX580X graphics. Drives are: 256Gb SSD (m2), 1Tb HDD and a DVD rom drive. I've recorded a video which shows the noises, but you have to turn up your speakers very loud to hear it as the noises are quite soft. I can post it here, but not sure if I'm allowed to link to my dropbox link or if there's some Dell upload tool I can use? The 2 types of noises are: first one is mechanical, like a hard drive click, 2nd is an electrical buzzing sound (like something is electrically shorting). Both are less than half a second in length and occur at different times. For example, in the video I have both sounds can be heard twice, about 20 seconds apart. Other times, it goes an hour with nothing. The noises are loud enough to be very distracting and annoying, not to mention wondering if there's some issue with your PC... Just wondering if anyone else had this? Thanks

6 Posts

March 30th, 2019 04:00

Hi, I had also lodged a ticket with Dell tech support here in Aus. The technician that arrived installed a new HDD (swapped out the 1Gb Toshiba with a 1Gb Western Digital WD10EZEX-75WN4A0) and the noises have stopped now (both of them). Thanks for all the suggestions though. Now to find something to fix/replace the fan that goes from silent to blow dryer in 1 second.

• 

16.7K Posts

March 20th, 2019 04:00

Miner2049,

Click the links below for troubleshooting and identifying noise issues.

How to identify and resolve Noise Issues on your Dell System

A guide to identifying the source of an Abnormal Noise on a Dell PC

• 

16.7K Posts

March 21st, 2019 04:00

Miner2949,

The noise could very well be the hard drives making the noise. If no diag failures then, the noise is normal at times.

6 Posts

March 21st, 2019 04:00

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. Have tried most of these with no luck. Have also done the F12 diagnostics built into Dell BIOS but nothing there. SSD checking software also reports no issue - both hard drives reported as perfect. I've opened the case, had a look to see if any cables knocking something, but nothing there either. It would also be a consistent noise if it was a cable or tie of some kind hitting something inside the desktop.

6 Posts

March 24th, 2019 04:00

Posting video of noise issue:

https://youtu.be/hltPPex8udM

See description in YouTube video for times noises being made.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

March 25th, 2019 12:00

Open the side cover while on. Try to isolate the noise.

6 Posts

March 26th, 2019 03:00

Hi Chris, firstly can I just say that something is wrong with the login process with this website. It prompts me every time to enter my password. I enter it, it errors. I then try again and it prompt me to enter the words that are in a wavey font. Then I give up after 3 or 4 attempts and hit the reset my password link. I get an email, click that link to reset, and enter my current password as the new password in both fields. It then says I can't use my existing password as the new password. So I go back to the window that had the failed logins, put my existing correct password in and it accepts it... Secondly, thanks for the suggestion to open the case. I've tried that, but it's still way too difficult to isolate a noise like that to one part of the PC. It's a noise, there's no mechanical movement that I can see when the noise is being made. And sorry, but did my video help at all? Have you seen this type of issue before?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

March 26th, 2019 06:00

Test different browsers with the Forum. See if all have the same sign in issue. With side open, you should be able to get close to the drives to isolate which one may be doing the noise. Click my name and private message me the PC service tag number. Did you purchase this from the Dell Outlet? What date?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 26th, 2019 11:00

Get yourself a long cardboard tube, like the one inside a roll of paper towels.  Do not use anything metal!

Hold one end of the cardboard tube against your ear and slowly move the other end around inside the case to see if you can isolate the noise. 

If this PC has the optional optical drive, do the noises correspond with the optical drive activity LED flashing?

Awww...the browser wars...This site isn't friendly to IE11. If your browser is set to block all cookies, change that to accept cookies from this website, either by adding dell.com to the "allowed" cookies list or change the settings to allow cookies from all websites. You should be able to block 3rd party cookies and still log in here.

April 11th, 2019 12:00

Hey Nickel, I found that the GPU on that RX580 is what kicks on sooooo loud when gaming or right after gaming.  I switched my gpu to a RTX 2070 and I cant hear anything under extreme gaming loads.

June 9th, 2019 21:00

did you ever figure out the blow dryer like fans off and on? I am having the same thing

January 19th, 2021 14:00

Hello,

Posting this help hopefully answer someone’s question in the future, or yours if you are still dealing with it. 

I found that my noise (fan spinning to max speed after doing only slightly intensive tasks like google maps), was emanating from my power supply.

My solve was to remove the power supply, flip it over so the intake fan was facing towards the main cavity, as opposed to the stock setup where it is facing the bottom of the case/ground. I then broke off some of the rear vent fins (cosmetic only) so that the plug input was accessible. That fixed it immediately, and now it spins ups slightly just to cool it down during intensive tasks, and no longer wakes me up in the middle of the night.

Hopefully that helps!

No Events found!