Highlighted
zapt
2 Bronze

Inspiron 5680, adding a front fan?

Jump to solution

Inspecting my new 5680 (the version with the DVD drive), I see a space in the front panel that I think is intended for a fan. I’m going to be filling the drive bays by adding a Samsung 860 EVO (SSD) as a boot drive and an older 1.5TB hard drive for backups, and I’m concerned about heat.

Anyone have any info on adding a fan, if necessary, such as size, issues I may encounter controlling it, etc.?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JOcean
5 Tungsten

Re: Adding a front fan to Inspiron 5680?

Jump to solution

Looks like 92 mm would work. Try the following link.

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron-Desktops/Inspiron-5680-i7-8700-needs-a-better-cooler/td-p/61...

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS Z170K i5 6600
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
zapt
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

92mm looks right. Thanks!

0 Kudos
zapt
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

As suggested, the spot on the front of the 5680 case is designed to accept a 92mm fan. I bought a Noctua NF-A9 PWM. Successfully installing it wasn’t as simple as I’d hoped (it had to be installed entirely from inside the case), but I managed:

1. Removed the two screws holding the black graphics card support cage in place and moved it out of the way.
  2. Inserted the four rubber pegs into the large holes provided in the case and then slid them up and out (top 2) or down and out (bottom 2) into the smaller lock holes meant for them.
  3. Threaded all four pegs into the matching holes on the fan and then pulled each peg hard to lock it in place—except the bottom left one. There’s no way to reach that peg from within the case.
  4. Plugged the fan’s cable into the nearby 4-pin PWM header on the motherboard.

Notes

• Even without the last peg secured, the fan seems solid enough and doesn’t wobble.
  • Although I also removed the front cover of the 5680, doing so didn’t give access to the fan holes. I also removed the 7 or so screws that secured the additional cover beneath it. But I didn’t see a way to remove it, so I just put the screws back in.
  • Connecting the fan to the PWM does not cause a startup error. Like the two original fans (back and CPU), its speed is correctly controlled by the motherboard.

0 Kudos