Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

4 Posts

February 3rd, 2019 04:00

Inspiron 5680, octane memory to SSD

I bought a dell desktop 5680 at Sams Club and it has a 16 gb octane memory and 1 tb hard drive. I am thinking about replacing the octane memory to a 500 gb m2 ssd for boot and programs and using the hard drive for storage. Would that make it run programs (lightroom, office, photoshop, chrome) faster noticeably? And how do I go about changing it? Do I need to remove the rapid storage program? disable it? before switching the optane to ssd? Thanks for the help?

573 Posts

February 7th, 2019 00:00

Hi @dudsbar ,

Check out this article regarding NVMe SSD Roundup at mid 2018. The editor declare Intel Octane as "storage that is faster than NAND flash with latencies closer to RAM, larger capacity than RAM but pricing closer to an SSD, and significantly higher endurance than traditional SSDs."

When talks about general read/write speed, you could hardly found any advantage of using Octane:1.JPG

However, when it comes to IOPS - the value of how quickly the hard drive can process IO requests, Octane bit any other competitors:2.JPG

Instead of read/write speed, users who work on tasks like video editing/rendering, graphic design and audio editing/mixing may concerns more on IOPS. Hence, you may choose between general NVMe and Octane depending on your main purpose on computer operations.

Another article shows more or less the same benchmark results, with conclusion for Octane:

Pros

• Strong low-queue depth 4k random performance
  • Easy to install/use caching software

Cons

• Users need a certain Intel system to use the module as a caching product (edit: no need to worry about it as your Inspiron 5680 with Intel Z370 Express chipset support it already.)
  • Performance is lackluster versus existing NVMe products
  • Full solution cost is more than buying a traditional SSD

Back to your further question. There should be no specific precaution if you would replace the existing Octane to a generic NVMe drive. Simply clone and replace them. You may clone the Octane drive as image onto an external USB drive by tools like Macrium Reflect  -> replace Octane with the newly purchased NVMe -> restore Octane image onto the NVMe drive. No reconfiguration needed for the RAID storage as well as no enable/disable needed during the whole process. You may refer to the thread on how to perform hard drive cloning with Macrium Reflect.

No Events found!