Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

August 22nd, 2018 07:00

Inspiron 580 MT, CPU fan issue

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 580 MT Intel Core i5 Processor 760 (2.80GHz, 8MB). For some weeks, I am facing the following problem :
the CPU fan works intermittently at high speed, up to 3500 rpm.
The fan works for a couple of seconds at high speed, making noise, and then returns to normal speed (less than 500 rpm) with no noise, and so on, all the day long. I installed HWMonitor and could see that the temperature of the four cores are between 40 and 65°C. I opened the computer and could not see any dust near the fans. I have been using such computers for years without meeting this trouble. Would you have any idea of the cause of such trouble?

I thank you in advance for any reply.

Patrick

• 

17K Posts

August 22nd, 2018 07:00

patmich,

Click the link below for information that resolved other users with the 580 that had the same issues.

CPU Fan Cycling On and Off on Inspiron 580

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 22nd, 2018 11:00

Installed any new software, Windows updates (what version?) or driver updates recently?

When was last time you replaced the motherboard battery?

Reboot and immediately press F12. Look for the option to run diagnostics. Run the fan tests. If the fan fails, double check the connection between the CPU fan and the motherboard. And/or you might need to replace it with an OEM Dell fan, because it has a sensor that BIOS has to read.

If the fan passes, check to make sure the heat sink (hot!) is properly locked in place on top of the CPU. (Check the Service Manual for details.)

It's also possible the thermal paste between the heat sink and CPU dried out and needs to be replaced with a thin layer of fresh paste, eg Arctic Silver.

Always power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec before working inside the case.

18 Posts

August 23rd, 2018 06:00

Hello,

I thank you very much for your prompt reply to my post.

I did what was suggested :

Do a search in Windows for: msconfig
Launch msconfig and click Services tab
Check the box to Hide Microsoft services
Look on remaining list for Dell DataVault
Uncheck DataVault box, exit msconfig and reboot

To be more precise, I unchecked three Dell Data Vault boxes :

- Dell DataVault Service API

- Dell DataVault Collector

- Dell DataVault  Processor

And today, the cpu fan remained quiet, as it ran under 1000 rpm. 

Thank you again for this very helpful advise !

Patrick

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 23rd, 2018 11:00

Glad you got it sorted, but now I'm totally confused...

If unchecking DataVault services solved the problem, why didn't you have this fan issue long before now? The DataVault fan issue first appeared in 2015. Did you suddenly try using DataVault now?

IIRC, Dell stopped supporting DataVault eons ago, so it won't save any data backups online...

18 Posts

August 24th, 2018 13:00

Hello,

At the end of July, I made some driver update on the Dell site.

It seems that the fan trouble started at this date.

I guess that Dell DataVault was installed (or maybe re-activated) at this time.

Thank you again for your efficient advice.

Patrick

6 Posts

June 15th, 2019 11:00

I think I've had the same issue, and I think I know why it just suddenly appeared in 2019.

A few days before my problem, I was troubleshooting a problem where my computer was slowing down significantly. I found Dell's SupportAssist and downloaded it. I was busy with something else and didn't do anything other than that.

Then I started having trouble with the fan. I opened the case and yes, there was a lot of dust in there, so I did some careful cleaning, including spraying with air, especially around the fans. 

I restarted and it was stable for hours, even overnight. Later, after a reboot, I put the case cover back on. It started making the noise. Stopping the CPU fan stopped the noise. So then I googled that problem and ended up here.

I followed the instructions about unchecking DataVault and now it seems okay.

So, I'm wondering if installing SupportAssist also did something to the DataVault settings. By the way, SupportAssist allows you to run hardware checks, but the hardware check feature won't run, which is another reason I'm suspecting it. I'm going to uninstall it now.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

June 19th, 2019 06:00

Hey Patrick,

Running a hardware diagnostic test can help you identify hardware related problems and provide you troubleshooting steps to help resolve the issue. To determine if your Dell PC is experiencing a hardware problem, it is recommended that you first run a hardware diagnostic test on your PC. Dell offers both built-in and online diagnostics. Dell ePSA hardware diagnostic test will help check if the hardware devices are working correctly.

Running Dell Pre-boot System Assessment or enhanced Pre-boot System Assessment (Dell PSA or ePSA)

1. Restart your Dell PC.
  2. When the Dell logo appears, press F12 key to enter One-time Boot Menu.
  3. Use the arrow keys to select Diagnostics and press Enter key on the keyboard.
  4. Follow the on-screen prompts and respond appropriately to complete the diagnostics.
    If the test fails, ensure to write down the error code and validation code.

OR  Try updating your BIOS drivers.

Dell recommends updating the device drivers and BIOS as part of your scheduled update cycle. Device drivers and BIOS updates may contain feature enhancements or changes that will help keep your system software current and compatible with other system modules (hardware and software) as well as increased stability.

It is recommended that you installing the following device drivers to ensure optimal performance of fans in your PC.

• BIOS
  • Chipset driver
  • Thermal chipset driver
  • Video card (GPU) driver

Regards,

Adrian 

No Events found!