Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

1 Message

September 29th, 2018 23:00

Inspiron 580s, Issue/Question

One of my relatives gave me their old computer.
It has DDR3 RAM and HDMI port. The HDMI port doesn't work, and when I went to check out the UEFI, it has an old BIOS; very basic. I'm not sure if it came with it originally, or someone replaces the BIOS chip. It looks older than the computer... The computer was manufactured in 2010.

I thought all computers had UEFI by then.
Would that be why the HDMI port doesn't work? The VGA port does.
I see that someone added a PCI video card that has HDMI/DVI.

Other than that, the computer works well.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 30th, 2018 03:00

The only OS' that Dell (officially) supports is Vista and Win 7 on this model.  The last BIOS update was 2012 and no newer will ever be issued.  If you are looking for a "modern" machine this is not it.  There may be a hardware problem with the internal HDMI port or it may simply be disabled since there is a separate Video card.  Remove the video card and see if the HDMI port works.

UEFI was not in all PC's in that time frame.  Keep in mind Dell uses proprietary motherboards and not stock ATX models.  Dell also uses proprietary front panel cabling and interfaces, too.  Thus not a good candidate to use the Dell motherboard in a standard ATX case or use a standard ATX motherboard in a Dell case.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 1st, 2018 10:00

Secure Boot Class 2.3.1 bios did not come out until 2012 with windows 8.0

This is a 2009 system with Class 1 conventional bios.  2009 systems came with windows 7 and again class 1 bios.There is NO UEFI or secure boot on this system and never will be.

No Events found!